For this Task, I was instructed to annotate and produce a textual analysis of an album cover similar to the genre of my own. I decided to choose the Kinks late 1966 album Face To Face as it was a Well Respected record of the time and had great cover art.
In this task, I have looked over my previous work from my second music video draft to analyse and review the production skills I have learnt whilst using premiere pro that have helped the music video process.
In doing this, I have identified what skills and tools are crucial in creating a music video and for my future media work. For example, using colour correction as a light blending tool was a new concept to me, however it was vastly useful, easy to use and will improve my skills in production.
This is our 3rd draft of our music video. After receiving feedback from our teacher we have been able to develop and improve on the prior flaws to our product.
What’s Changed –
- Previously we had repeated a number of shots in our performance due to lack of shots, however these have been addressed and new clips are in place.
- Some shots in the last draft lacked consistency in lighting and colour, using the colour correction tool, we have since diminished this issue.
- Jump cuts have been added to embellish the narrative and build a faster pace within the verses.
Peer Feedback – Really good storyline, really like the scene transitions and the well balanced performance and narrative. I do think that there are some videos which do not quite work well with the music. Such as lip syncing, guitars, etc.. But apart from that, It is a really good video, loved the song choice and attitude. (Elliot Hearne)
The video is well synced to the song, I like your narrative. However, in your performance there should be more close-ups on the band members and there surrounding. (Allan Isakovic)
Great use of different shot varieties and distances, the jump-cuts are well placed and are interesting. Needs to be finished, needs a more warm filter to further develop the rustic style. (Drew Robilliard)
The pace stays similar throughout the video, MES works well, More movement/transitions – like when drew is sat on wall, Play around with colour as its a little too orange. (Chloe Torode)
Targets To Improve –
- More close-ups and complex shots of the band members in performance.
- Add a filter to make it seem more professional and give a vintage embellishment.
- Increase movement and maybe transitions.
This is the second draft of our music video. Although we have added new and interesting narrative shots, there are still noticeable gaps in the video’s perfection.
What Was Developed
- Our narrative shots were integrated into the project and now give us more freedom to remove other clips we may have previously repeated or disliked
- A new sense of tempo has created a sense of pace within the video, alternating frequently and making the video more professional
- After receiving feedback from two external editors, their gift of knowledge allowed us to colour correct our performance shots (something we had never even regarded) and give them a uniform filter, furthermore making the video more linear and consistent
What To Improve Next Time
- Some of our footage was using pans on the beach, this pan was clunky and of a low quality, this is something we need to correct in our next draft
- Smoother transitions between cuts to make the overall product appear more fluent
- To re shoot most of the shots we obtain from different angles to create a more diverse perspective on the character and emboss the footage end product
What was Enjoyed
- Genuinely pleased with outcome so far
- Finds the character and nature of the author (Drew) obscure and intriguing
- The short and snappy jump cuts of the walk along the beach
- Understands the initial lack of clarity in the video and why that makes it an enjoyable viewing experience for the target audience
Targets to Improve
- Do not reuse guitar riff for every verse
- More shots of the bloke knitting, to show the creative process
- Add match on action for movements such as putting down the phone
- Enjoys shot of Drew in the cupboard, however it is out of focus
- More context behind the shot in the recycling skip
- Another intertextual Beatles reference?
- More close ups of both Drew and Trystan
Our narrative spanned over a variety of different locations, all which brought something different to the narrative. The whacky settings were to highlight that creative journey of the author in his awkward writer’s block.
All around Fermain bay (beach/ valley behind it)
Different places around school
What Was Successful –
- The new variety of settings that contrast the environment of the performance and give the narrative more structure
- Drew’s ability to provide a well animated role in the style we aspired to
- Using the outdoors as our performance shoot was limited to only a select few rooms
Targets To Improve –
- Film the same shot over and over to achieve the exact result we are looking for
- Make sure there is no one in the background of any shots (referring to the phone box shot where reflections are present)
- Include final scene of band members reading the complete novel