After completing my first draft of my double page spread, I received some feedback on how to improve the next edit:
1: The photo of the main star needs to be larger so it stands out more
2: The text needs to be wrapped two columns around the images for each bulk of passage
3: Currently, the main photo and some text will be impeded by staples so the layout needs to be rearranged
4: A headline and stand-first needs to be added at the top of the page(s)
5: A byline needs to be added at the bottom so claim who wrote the article
6: A photographers name needs to be added
7: Page numbers need to be added
8: The background makes the text hard to read and is too fussy – this is essential to be changed
Indesign is an essential part of making our magazine front covers, contents pages and double page spreads. Here is a screenshot of the means you can use to edit text in the document:
Above, I could choose between many fonts appropriate for my genre of music. It is always better to use a “Sans Serif” font because they are easier on the eyes to read. Then, I could select whether it would be appropriate to embolden the text or keep it regular, in most cases, I left it as a regular font because bold was only suitable for the title in order for it to stand out. I could then edit the font size, width, and angle for various effects.
Above shows another tool I have used in Indesign. The transform section is particularly useful for differentiating similar images, for example the ivy in my contents page I have flipped to make it look different on either side. The scale tool is also useful for images aswell. This has impacted on star image by adding to her narrative of a environmentalist, showing a more caring side to her personality.
I asked my peer to evaluate my work for targets and future improvement:
1: The background is too dark and needs to be made brighter, the style of it is also not entirely professional.
2: There are a few images of my model at the top, the edges need to be smoothed out.
3: The text of “contents”, needs to be made brighter and bolder so it stands out better.
4: “Lilli Rose” should be placed underneath, “Protector of the environment…”
5: The “Top 10” logo needs to be changed and made more attractive as currently it looks improper.
Things I’m going to change are:
- I will edit the background, it needs to be brighter and a gradient could potentially be put on it.
- I will photoshop my model’s images at the top to make them blend into the background better.
- I will edit my “contents” title to make it bolder and more colourful.
- I will reorder my text – swapping “Lilli Rose” and “Protector of the environment”
- Change the “Top 10” logo
- Edit the ivy image on the sides so they have a gradient, fading them downwards
Here follows the first draft of my contents page:
A contents page should display several different article headings and the page numbers these are featured on. However, they should not be so specific that the article is completely given away as there will be no point the reader reading the article itself.
Here follows the photos from the location photoshoot set in St. Peter Port, town. These contact sheets consist of the images I deem as usable and of high-quality for my magazine. For example, image 0983 is successful as a medium long-shot and is slightly overexposed which can be easily fixed in photoshop. The star image is represented well by my models as pop-stars enjoying a normal day out casually in town. Andre’s costume and the prop as an acoustic guitar represents him as being a genuine and likable guy whereas Lilli is portrayed as being quite seductive in places but also seems talented. Andre generally has an open body language portraying him as quite friendly and representing his music as rather positive and jolly. On the other hand, Lilli (e.g. in image 1092) has a rather closed body language portraying her as quite innocent but with possibly something to hide, suggesting her music is quite inventive but in keeping with a pop-tone.
Then, I composed a contact sheet of all the photos I deemed unusable for the magazine. These are all unworkable because of the wrong angles, low-key lighting and model inexperience. For example, image 1110 is far too dark whereas image 0967 is far too overexposed.
As we are going out on location with remote supervision, we were required to fill out a risk assessment sheet, here follows mine:
Completing a risk assessment is very important because they form an integral part of an occupational health and safety management plan. They help to create awareness of the hazards and risks so if and when they happen, they can be managed easily and safely.