Here follows our performance shoot, which was at a bunker in the south-west of the island. Attendants were myself, Andre, Lilli, and our actors, Jack and Dan.
We took these photos to demonstrate how and what we were filming from different angles:
Firstly, we guaranteed we had our three main coverage shots, the mid-shot, the close-up and the long shot. This allowed us to confidently have at least some variety.
We then experimented with different types of shots to get even more coverage to make our performance more fast paced and exciting.
For our ‘stage’ set, we used the front area of the bunker, and for a close-up we used the doorway and the vocalist.
We then moved around the location to get a wider variety of backgrounds.
The shoot as a whole was overall quite successful as we get a wide range of shots, angles and all performance aspects were filled. There were a few issues such as the lack of a drum kit however we worked around it by making it a two-man performance.
In order to have improved our shoot we could have been more organised with equipment by making an official plan of who was bringing what, and how each item was transported.
If we had more time we could have done more experimental shots and angles to make the performance section more interesting.
Here are a few moodboards to show the star image of our band. They seem from their physical appearance quite dedicated to their music but also quite edgy yet stylish. Their twitter account shows them off to be quite light-hearted and friendly/connected to their fans:
This activity was essential to complete before our shoot as it made us develop new ideas about different poses, facial expressions, costume and hair/makeup and how they would affect the overall star image.
Here follows a voicethread of our genre conventions analysis, outlining the repertoire of elements (mise-en-scene, naratives and performance) of the genre.
In this presentation, we have developed our knowledge of the conventions of the pop-rock genre so that we have a better understanding of the mise-en-scene and other elements included so we can match our video to fit within the general conventions. To do so, we have also looked into other videos of the same genre that has similar attributes to what we want to include in our music video, such as the artist Avril Lavigne who includes a punchy costume and powerful themes in her videos to further develop her lyrics, and also different angles used, such as a low-angle to show her dominance.
Completing this task has helped us keep the elements of our video within the realms of our genre however we can then push the boundaries to challenge the conventions to make the video more exciting and unexpected.
Here follows a Production Meeting Agenda for our performance shoot. The purpose of completing this was to be organised for the day, so we knew what each person was responsible for e.g. costume and props. Otherwise, the shoot would fail due to not having/wearing the correct equipment.
Here follows a tweet sent asking permission to use their song, the purpose of this was to be able to use the song that we want for the music video and not get it deleted as I know there are copyright laws, which means that I don’t have the right to use their song for my personal use (the music video).
We completed this visual shot list to ensure ample coverage is collected using various different shot techniques, movement and angles, this would make the video far more interesting and exciting to watch because there would be a wide variety of differences.
Here follows 2o seconds of our song which we filmed and edited as a test shoot, the purpose of this was to practice filming and editing a music video, but also to gain some ideas of various angles and potential ideas we could use in our final video. We learned the importance of coverage, and how filming everything from various angles helps to make a more exciting and interesting video when it comes to the edit.
Find a wider range of locations to use but this will be easier when we have access to more areas.
Another would be to make sure all edits are to the beat.
Ensure some shots aren’t shown for too long as these can become relatively dull.
The end was hard to transition out of so this may need to be changed.
Some of the quickly-transitioning flashes were to nothing (the walking past had already ended) so this could have been better edited.
When the three shots were shown at once, give it a better background as the black is rather boring.
A large range of angles and framing was used.
Lip-syncing was in time and edited appropriately to the music.
Fast-editing was well done and in time to the music.