This is a three point structure for the narrative section of our music video, featured in this, we have descriptions of each part of the narrative including the ideas and themes explored in each section, how the story would be progressed in that section and what will we show to demonstrate what is happening. Our narrative structure is ‘amplified’, this is when the narrative, whilst inspired by the song, adds a narrative element to complement the subject matter of the song. It is a combination video which is a mixture of performance and narrative to relatively a 50/50 split, and the performer has an active role in the narrative.
In the beginning, we see a close up of him unzipping his rucksack before he heads out for the day, this is showing the uncertainty of the journey the character is about to embark upon, he is also stood in a mirror, a masked man is poised behind him. The middle section, which is the disequilibrium of the story, of the narrative will show the character getting increasingly more paranoid as he beings to notice the masked man around him. He is starting to move closer to him in the mirror. In the end section, the main character finally becomes possessed by the masked figure in the mirror.
Overall, we were happy with the shots we acquired as they were filmed correctly with a wide variety of coverage. There were a few things we could have done better:
- Taken a few more high-angled shots for better coverage
- Ensure everyone had what they were supposed to because an item or two were forgotten
- Make sure the singer knows all the words to a confident level
- Taken a wider variety of location shots
- Used more close-ups, there were a lot of mid-shots
- Use more of a variety of acting techniques
Here follows our performance shoot, which was at a bunker in the south-west of the island. Attendants were myself, Andre, Lilli, and our actors, Jack and Dan.
We took these photos to demonstrate how and what we were filming from different angles:
- Firstly, we guaranteed we had our three main coverage shots, the mid-shot, the close-up and the long shot. This allowed us to confidently have at least some variety.
- We then experimented with different types of shots to get even more coverage to make our performance more fast paced and exciting.
- For our ‘stage’ set, we used the front area of the bunker, and for a close-up we used the doorway and the vocalist.
- We then moved around the location to get a wider variety of backgrounds.
The shoot as a whole was overall quite successful as we get a wide range of shots, angles and all performance aspects were filled. There were a few issues such as the lack of a drum kit however we worked around it by making it a two-man performance.
- In order to have improved our shoot we could have been more organised with equipment by making an official plan of who was bringing what, and how each item was transported.
- If we had more time we could have done more experimental shots and angles to make the performance section more interesting.
Here are a few moodboards to show the star image of our band. They seem from their physical appearance quite dedicated to their music but also quite edgy yet stylish. Their twitter account shows them off to be quite light-hearted and friendly/connected to their fans:
This activity was essential to complete before our shoot as it made us develop new ideas about different poses, facial expressions, costume and hair/makeup and how they would affect the overall star image.
Here is our risk assessment for our performance shoot. This is necessary to be carried out for health and safety reasons, but also so we can anticipate the problems and overcome them more easily.
Here follows a voicethread of our genre conventions analysis, outlining the repertoire of elements (mise-en-scene, naratives and performance) of the genre.
In this presentation, we have developed our knowledge of the conventions of the pop-rock genre so that we have a better understanding of the mise-en-scene and other elements included so we can match our video to fit within the general conventions. To do so, we have also looked into other videos of the same genre that has similar attributes to what we want to include in our music video, such as the artist Avril Lavigne who includes a punchy costume and powerful themes in her videos to further develop her lyrics, and also different angles used, such as a low-angle to show her dominance.
Completing this task has helped us keep the elements of our video within the realms of our genre however we can then push the boundaries to challenge the conventions to make the video more exciting and unexpected.
We received some feedback on our pitch from the Specsaver’s creative team:
- We need to get a clearer idea of what the narrative is, this may include setting out a rigid structure to be able to film effectively.
- We need to decide wether we should use 3 people or 4 people as our band, as this needs to be organised to make sure everyone turns up on time and in the right place.
- Find a more easily accessible location to use, as in order to use a place like the Underground Hospital would require permission.
- The idea of the lead singer being the main character for the narrative gained a positive reception as it is more simple and allows the performance and narrative to cross over and converge more easily.
- The post-production idea of flashing back and forth, however this is quite challenging to time with the music, here I have found an online tutorial of how:
Here follows a Production Meeting Agenda for our performance shoot. The purpose of completing this was to be organised for the day, so we knew what each person was responsible for e.g. costume and props. Otherwise, the shoot would fail due to not having/wearing the correct equipment.