Here follows the first draft of my contents page:
A contents page should display several different article headings and the page numbers these are featured on. However, they should not be so specific that the article is completely given away as there will be no point the reader reading the article itself.
Here follows the photos from the location photoshoot set in St. Peter Port, town. These contact sheets consist of the images I deem as usable and of high-quality for my magazine. For example, image 0983 is successful as a medium long-shot and is slightly overexposed which can be easily fixed in photoshop. The star image is represented well by my models as pop-stars enjoying a normal day out casually in town. Andre’s costume and the prop as an acoustic guitar represents him as being a genuine and likable guy whereas Lilli is portrayed as being quite seductive in places but also seems talented. Andre generally has an open body language portraying him as quite friendly and representing his music as rather positive and jolly. On the other hand, Lilli (e.g. in image 1092) has a rather closed body language portraying her as quite innocent but with possibly something to hide, suggesting her music is quite inventive but in keeping with a pop-tone.
Then, I composed a contact sheet of all the photos I deemed unusable for the magazine. These are all unworkable because of the wrong angles, low-key lighting and model inexperience. For example, image 1110 is far too dark whereas image 0967 is far too overexposed.
As we are going out on location with remote supervision, we were required to fill out a risk assessment sheet, here follows mine:
Completing a risk assessment is very important because they form an integral part of an occupational health and safety management plan. They help to create awareness of the hazards and risks so if and when they happen, they can be managed easily and safely.
This is my production meeting agenda for my second photoshoot (location):
One target I received was that there was too much text compared to the amount of images. This has now changed as there is a more appropriate split between the two. Another was the proportions of the model, the actual main cover star image has actually been changed and I have ensured that the proportions are correct. Next, I was told more photo-shopping was needed to ensure all photos looked professional and this has been corrected as all the images are of higher airbrushed quality. The background is also now more appropriate to the main cover star and fits in more nicely.
Here is my first draft of the front page:…LILLI-2lsx9k6
I then gained some feedback and reflection from a fellow peer:
- I was told to edit the pugs as they were not completely professional-looking and to possibly change their colours. I may also change the shape of the hexagon as it is not entirely appropriate.
- I need to edit much of the text, for example “Lilli Rose” I could outline in red and possibly change the font so it stands out, and change the colour of “headlines wembley”.
- The text surrounding the model needs to be changed as the colouring may not work as the colour behind it changes from the black of the models clothing to the blue background.
- I will add many more pugs filled with images from the inside as well as insets and plugs to make the page look more full.
- I have been advised to look into the proportions of the model as she looks stretched as well as having a brief white outline which needs to be removed.
- I need to do more work in photoshop to the image in terms of airbrushing and editing out the white lines surrounding her.
- In terms of the background, it does not quite work with the image and I need to merge her into the background to make it seem more connected.
- Some of the text is quite dull and could be more appropriate to the genre, there is also slightly too much in terms of a text to image ratio.
Front cover, contents and double page spread lick & stick mock-up:
The purpose of completing these were so we had a template for when we actually create our magazine on Indesign, it gives us a clear route map of how and what to include on each page. Continue reading
With all the preparation complete, I am finally ready to photograph my star for my front cover, the contents and double-page spread. For my front cover image, I will be using to mid shot of my star, this will mean the main focus will be on my main cover stars face and their main attributes highlighting their genre and I can ensure that they portray the right type of mise-en-scene my magazine is trying to convey. The lighting will be a mixture of high-key and low-key lighting to demonstrate different key themes of pop music.
We will be using a significant amount of makeup surrounding the eyes and lips to portray a true diva-styled pop star. She will be wearing an attractive dress to highlight youth and the contemporary atmosphere surrounding the genre of pop.