Here follows our draft 4 music video of ‘Why Worry’. Things that have changed include various effects and filters have been added, for example the one in the thumbnail below. Also, black and white effects have been placed on the reaction shots, which have also been added, to create an effect of suspense. More fast pace editing has been added between performance and narrative to make the video more exciting and shows more development.
Then, here is the screen castify of Charlotte Hunt, a film student, commenting on the current draft.
Targets for improvement include:
More cinematography included
Using a wider variety of shot distance following each other
Slightly less repetitive walking in the narrative sector
Cutting the beat more often towards the beginning of the video, e.g. the clapping
Some of the performance sections have Jack looking around and not actually singing, which according to Scarlett should be replaced with narrative scenes. However, we feel that it is good to have as it shows his paranoia follows him everywhere.
An aspect we can add in using post-production skills is a slow motion which may help to build up him turning into the masked man, as this build-up is not entirely clear.
Faster edits is another target set and we will work to make this happen because it reflects the tempo of the song.
Include after effects, such as echo, to make the video look more professional.
Lip syncing can be improved and matched slightly better in places.
The smoke effect needs to be improved or removed because it does not seem professional at the moment and almost seems trivial. It makes it harder to see his face in places so needs to be edited.
The narrative structure needs to be clearer as at the moment it does not seem to make that much sense. Build up is needed towards the man being the masked man, at the moment it just seems like a “plot twist”.
The pace of edit needs to sufficiently match the tempo of the song.
The beginning section needs to feature more performance aspects, as now it is just elongated narrative elements.
In various places during performance, the lip-syncing is not correct and sometimes the words are also wrong.
Performance sections especially in choruses need to be more animated to match the tempo and feel of the song.
The ending needs to be changed, personally I prefer the dropping of the mask as opposed to the ‘dead on a bench’.
The sections featuring clapping needs to have both members clapping as opposed to one forgetting.
Require more close-ups particularly in performance but also in some narrative areas (e.g. of the mask being dropped).
Generally, this edit has been successful even though there are many targets to be improved upon. It has developed since last time as now the majority of performance is in sync with the music and there are more narrative aspects included. Also, more post-production effects have been added and this has made a difference to the overall look of the product.
Whilst Set It Off do not have a Yougov page, a similar band to ours, Panic! At the Disco do, and this will help to identify our audience ideologies:
As you can see, fans demographics include being commonly between the ages of 18-24, and are often female. Their social grading is C2DE and common regions are London, the Midlands and Northern Scotland. They are often left wing and their top professions will include:
Here follows a dating profile as an example of someone who would be a fan of this genre:
It is important to know who our target audience is because otherwise they will not be able to successful decode the media message we are trying to put across, and if that does not happen, there is no point creating a product in the first place. They will not understand it and they will reject it.
The following is a narrative evaluation for our narrative shoot, which took place at our actor Jack’s house, followed by Candie Gardens. These locations we felt were appropriate because firstly his house is a natural setting for his daily life and would reflect a somewhat ‘normal’ homelife. Then, the journey through Candie Gardens was easier to film because it is not too busy, meaning filming was quite easy but also it had some aesthetic backgrounds to contrast with his chaotic life.
At the house, we filmed the narrative chronologically so that we did not miss anything necessary.
We then got close-ups including match-on-action of the door handle, this allows us to have more coverage and more interesting shots.
Once we had finished this, we began the ‘side-narrative’ of him being approached at the mirror in his living room.
Following on, we moved locations to Candie Gardens, and had him journey through the area. This proved difficult at times due to it being lunchtime and several workers choose to have their lunch here, however we worked efficiently to get it all done.
Here, we got as many different backgrounds as possible to make cutting between shots seem like many locations were used, this will make the video much more interesting to watch.
These are some photos that we took of the group filming in the two locations.
This shoot was overall a success. We filmed for coverage and attained as many good shots as possible, so if another shoot was required it would not take long. We achieved the filming of the whole narrative we required and in the time frame so this was pleasing. In order for it to have gone even better we could:
Have had a clearer plan of what we wanted to do so that we could have gotten even more variety of shots and done it even quicker.
We could have visited the area beforehand and had an idea of exactly what we wanted to shoot and where we wanted to shoot it. This would of given us maximum time and we could have achieved more.