Here are some sketches that show ideas for outfits, accessories and hairstyles for my grunge themed photoshoot.
In order to gain more information about the common themes of the grunge genre, I made a Pinterest board which contains a variety of images linked to the genre.
Click on mood board to view whole board…
By making this mood board I was able to discover similarities in:
- Colour palettes
I noticed that most of the images linked to grunge used colour palettes that weer quite dull including colours such as brown, grey, black, white and red. Long hair, baggy T-shirts, jeans and converses and guitars are the mise-un-scene features that I noticed. Finally I noticed that the fonts used were similar to handwriting with elongated lines and ink spots.
This mood board will be useful to refer back to when creating my magazine. I can also continue adding to it in order to gain more inspiration.
In order to gain more information about the audience of my genre I did some research. By using YouGov I was able to find the demographic and psychographic of popular grunge band “sound garden.” This then showed me other grunge bands that that audience also like. I collected this information onto a slide:
My next task was to create a dating profile, using my previous research on the demographics and psychographics, for someone that is the target audience of my chosen genre. I tried to describe the personality of someone likely to purchase the magazine.
This task allowed me to understand who my target audience is, which will benefit me when I am creating my music magazine as I will be able to design the magazine around them.
I have chosen the genre of grunge for my music magazine. I chose this genre as it includes strong conventions and stereotypes. I have decided that the name of the magazine will be Nyctophilia.
The definition of Nyctophilia is to enjoy darkness or night and find relaxation and comfort in darkness which links to some of the grunge stereotypes.
Nyctophilia aims to refelect on the legends from the origin of grunge and the importance they had on modern music. We also aim to shed light on the grunge bands of today.
When Creating my music magazine there are multiple aspects that I will have to consider in order to be successful. These include Mise-un-scene, camera, layout, typography,AIDA and Blumler and Katz’s theory.
Firstly, I must consider Mise-un-scene. This includes:
- Costume- It is important that the costume of the model reflects my chosen genre
- Lighting- When photographing the model it os important that the lighting creates a mood that corresponds to the genre.
- Action- The position and stance of the model must be fitting for the genre.
- Makeup + hair- As well as clothing the model must also have an appropriate hairstyle and make up, in order to suit the genre.
- Props-Props such as guitars and microphones could be used to portray the genre.
- Setting-The area in which the photos are taken is important as it will determine the mood of the photograph.
The next important component to consider is Camera. Understanding the different settings and components of the camera and how they can be used to effect the photo is crucial , as well as understanding the effect of camera angle and framing.
Layout is also important when designing my music magazine. I need to establish wether I will create a conventional magazine or an unconventional. I think that I will include some unconventional features whilst keeping the magazine quite conventional.
I will also have to look at typography and do some experiments with fonts before making the magazine.
I must also look at AIDA, which stands for audience, interest, desire and action; and refers to the stages an individual goes through when purchasing a product, such as a magazine.
Finally I should consider Blumler and Katz’s uses and gratification theory to further understand how to make my magazine desirable for the specific audience. His uses and gratification theory shows us how we use media to meet our own needs and that we play an active role in choosing the media we view. The theory assumes that there are five reasons as to why we certain media:
- Information and education
- Personal Identity
- Integration and social interaction
In order for my magazine to be successful my music must provide these five components.
Before I began to make my poster I made a mood board where I collected other examples of folk tour posters and looked at the similarities and common features. I noticed similarities in:
- Colour- Natural colours and tones such as: Brown, beige, blue, green and black.
- Font- Old fashioned/ rustic fonts.
- Imagery- Guitars, trees, flowers and folk artists.
Within my tour poster I must include-
- The name of the artist.
- The name of the tour.
- Dates and venues.
- Website for tickets etc.
MY TOUR POSTER:
- Add more writing promoting the tour.
- Put the important information such as the dates and locations under the model so that their eyes are facing it.
- Put some of the writing in boxes etc, to make it more visible.
After gathering the images I decided to take some of my favourites and create a mood board with hashtags used to describe them, in order to understand the meaning behind them.
This task was useful as it allowed me gain an understanding as to how camera angles and objects can create meaning. This will be useful when making. When taking the photos for the magazine I will be able to use angles and framing properly in order to get strong meaningful images.
An Image can communicate meaning in multiple different ways. The term mise-un-scene is used to describe the things used to give an image meaning. these components are abbreviated into the acronym CLAMPS:
- Costume- often what people are wearing tells you something about them and communicates meaning.
- Lighting- Lighting can be used to create a mood. Dull lighting may suggest sadness, and that something bad has happened whilst bright light can suggest happiness.
- Action-What the people are doing in the image is an obvious way of communicating meaning that can be very effective.
- Makeup- Makeup is used to make someone look a certain way. It can be used in many ways to tell a story or an insight into that persons life.
- Props- Props are important for adding depth and meaning to a character .
- Setting- Setting is arguably one of the most important aspects of giving an image meaning. It controls the whole mood and meaning behind the image.
Camera framing is also very important when trying to communicate meaning. Camera framing refers to the composition of the image. Camera angles are also very important for communicating meaning. For example a high angle looking down on a subject will make the person or object look vulnerable whilst a low angle looking upwards will make the subject look powerful and large.
In this image there is a very good composition. This is due to the direction of the lines on the floor and bushes that lead yo to the subject (the person). As for the subject, they are placed perfectly on the image. The person who took the photo must have payed close attention to the rule of thirds.
Understanding how to give an image meaning will be very important when creating my magazine cover as I can now use composition and mise-un-scene to give my images a meaning.
Often magazines have a very similar audience which share similar interests, are in similar classes and are similar ages. My partner and I showed this by analysing the audience of a mojo magazine for arctic monkeys:
When talking about audience profiling there are some key terms. These include:
- Mission Statement- A formal summary of the aims and values of the company/organisation
- Demographics- How you are categorised in terms of your age, gender, race, marital status etc.
- Psycho-graphics -How the audience is categorised in terms of their interests, beliefs and lifestyle.
- Segmentation-The division of people in their demographic and Psycho- groups.
- Target Audience- The particular audience that the magazine is aiming to attract.
This task was useful as it allowed me to understand the importance of establishing a target audience. It will be useful when designing a magazine cover as I can design the magazine around the target audience ion order to make it attractive to them.