Bonjour! My music magazine is called Pop-Hitz, our specific genre is pop, and we focus on giving people what they want by conveying celebrity lives, fashion, and general knowledge.
Pop-Hitz is one of the highest demanded within the magazine industry to date, we offer top stories with celebrities, features from your favourite bands and artists and research into upcoming events. It is currently on nomination for ‘best upcoming magazine in 2019’. Pop-Hitz magazine inspires people to learn and develop, we offer fashion advice as well quotes of the day. We have aimed our magazine at young people, but our surveys have suggested that we have readers up to the age of 45. We allow readers to express themselves with interactive inputs and we encourage the best in people.
Our target audience is people ages between 13-26, but the surveys we have conducted suggested that we have readers above and below these rough guidelines. The ideal reader for the magazine would be a young female who is in education and may have a part time job, but has time to spend reading our magazine.
The audience will be influenced to buy our magazine because of the many elements of conveying narratives. For example the entertainment / diversion side of things, which includes the idealism of escape, where people are not expected anything, they can experience emotions on a large scale and not feel judged. Our magazine offers this and realizes that this is a necessary step in life and we support this. A further example would be the Social Interaction side of the magazine, as we have inserts to encourage the audience to get involved in the development and structure of the magazine. Furthermore, the Personal Identity side of things, encourage the audience to comply with the magazines infrastructure due to having the ability to be yourself and have your own values and beliefs while respecting that not everyone has the same beliefs. Which leads on nicely to the Information / Surveillance side of the magazine, because it offers advice and receives data to help improve the way you’re currently living your life on a practical and emotional level. These are all what makes the Uses and Gratification theory( Blumler & Katz -1975 ).
I believe working with Bauer Media would greatly benefit our brand and have the best chance of higher profitable margins when it comes to distribution. I think this because they have a load of connections within the industry already, and it’s not just magazines, they also distribute outputs for radios. This leads me to believe that we can have larger chances of successful distribution and consequently highly benefit the company. I believe that my magazine has some of the same features of their current publications. For example Q magazine shows interest in all of the current topics which are included in our magazines, which suggests that we can get our magazine nicely secure into the correct market and have it done by professionals who’ve done this before. They also have links to various radio stations such as Hits Radio and Capital London who would be able to help promote my magazine on other unique platforms.
The type of advertisers who would be interested in my target audience and therefore would invest in my magazine would be people who enjoy the genre and will be able to provide best outlets because they are well known through previous and current adverts. And this is why I have chosen the following two adverts Olly Murs and Kings of Leon. My target audience of the younger generation (people aged 13-27) would buy and be influenced by the contents of the adverts. Therefore it would be more engaging with my magazine
When it comes to my distribution, I would like my magazine to go online and be an online version only. I am planning to go fully online by 2021. This is because the publishing industry is struggling to keep a profitable margin as well as keeping the magazine afloat, especially with the new market of digital media. My target market is key when deciding these factors because it’s all about the current trends and how things are incorporated and used within nowadays society, consequently because my target audience is fairly young, they are the key of the new digitalisation age and how its used. I believe that if we keep upto date, regarding the constantly changing motives of social media and digitalisation, we will be able to stay on top of the market and earn our place in the magazine history.
My Brand :
- Pop-Hitz is one of the highest demanded within the magazine industry to date, we offer top stories with celebrities, features from your favourite bands and artists and research into upcoming events. It is currently on nomination for ‘best upcoming magazine in 2019’. Pop-Hitz magazine inspires people to learn and develop, we offer fashion advice as well quotes of the day. We have aimed our magazine at young people, but our surveys have suggested that we have readers up to the age of 45. We allow readers to express themselves with interactive inputs and we encourage the best in people.
Mise en Scene
- For my photoshoots, I had my models dress up and bring props represent the Pop Genre;
Lighting / Colour :
- The typical colour used within the pop genre includes bright, funky, vibrant colours which are used to stand out.
Make up / Hair :
- The typical hair styles used include messy buns, or straight hair.
- The make up used is quite extensive, as it’s a main factor in today’s society.
Pose / Proxemics :
- Props used include sunglasses and magnifying glass. These helped give an edge to the shot, making it more unique. Meaning it had more of a pop feeling.
Framing / Composition :
- Typical camera shots include mid shots and close ups. These help portray a more specific and meaningful display of emotions and conventions.
Copy & Cover Lines – Language :
- Cover lines tend to be indicators of what’s to come, or tells a short one sentence story to intrigue the audience to reading the magazine.
Structure, Contents, & Quotes Main Story :
- Quotes can be used to attract the audience to read more, as they normally are quite bold, and stand out and pull people in to look deeper.
- I used a Quote ‘live life helping others’ and this is quite bold, in a different colour making it unique to the background.
- Typical mastheads used are quite recognisable and have key features to make it stand out, such as the colours, boldness, and clear format. This makes it easier for the audience to acknowledge the brand.
Cover Lines :
- They give a little insight to what’s inside the magazine, they tend to be quite controversial and sensational and they make you want to read more into the magazine.
Typical layouts include :
Front Cover :
Contents Page :
Double Page Spread :
MY MAGAZINE :
I have chosen the following 2 adverts to be included in my magazine, I thought these would be appropriate with my genre of my magazine and make it appealing and eye catching towards my target audience.
I have chosen this first advert as I feel it will appeal to my target audience because Olly Murs is a very famous pop artist within the industry. He knows how to dress to impress, he is in smart looking old fashioned clothing and that is appealing to most of the main target audience focus. I feel this has similar taste to what the models in the magazine are wearing, as its bold, and stands out, as its’s not normal. The blue background makes it stand out from the current theme of the magazine and make it feel unique and similar to itself.
I have chosen this second advert for my magazine as I feel that it shows a bit of creativity and stability for the magazine. For example the idea of having multiple pictures manipulating the human eye to make it seem like 1 image makes it have a sort of edge to it and make it stand out. The colour scheme used is actually quite similar in the sense of the background, and makes it feel apart of the magazine.
Here is the new and improved magazine draft after feedback.
Feedback given includes :
Front Page :
- Border the photos
- Add in captions
- Crop top right photo
Contents Page :
- Main star needs a name and page number
- Change font of page numbers to same
Double Page Spread :
- Change the logo to the original.
I did all these changes and the final result is above.
What new transferrable skills have you learnt? What went well and even better if…
- A transferable skill is an ability or expertise which may be used in a variety of roles or occupations. Examples include communication, problem-solving and self-control.
With this in mind, I have learnt loads of new skills. Some of which include :
- Communication ; I have managed to talk to new people and get their feedback.
- Different kinds of communication ; for feedback, I used a few different ways, I actually spoke to them in person, I sent them instructions via social media, and I had the blog league for comments of how to improve.
- Critical analysis ; I’ve had to receive feedback on my work, and then try and apply the feedback to improve my work. Ive also had to give feedback in which I had to breakdown what the writer was trying to convey and apply that knowledge to the feedback.
- Research ; I’ve had to go away and research topics in order for me to fully understand the topic, and then transfer the knowledge to my work and help others with understanding it too.
- Teamwork ; In the past, I have been involved in group projects, this has helped me understand that there isn’t just one way of doing it, there is more of an a-ray of ways to do it.
I believe that the whole project so far I have done incredibly well on, however I would say that the following are what stands out the most in regards to effort and overall satisfaction :
- Double page spread
- Contents page
- Photoshoot outcome
Although I do think highly of my work, there is always room for improvement, I believe this is in the following areas :
- Analysis of topics and giving feedback.
- Magazine front cover
- Possible mast head designs
All these areas could use improvements, and I will try and go back over my work and adjust anything that I feel needs improvement.
Within the world of constantly evolving media platforms and new techniques, I know very little skills to what is available. So there is always room to learn, in this case, I have learnt some more skills in Photoshop and InDesign.
All these techniques will help me progress and convey particular narratives towards the audience, as not every thing chosen was to convey the same thing. For example, the tint; helped me give further detail into the way something looks, as in the transparency. This will help with giving depth to the images and fonts.
By using these skills, I have managed to produce my current magazine drafts. And actually using these skills has helped me remember how to do them, so in the future I’ll be able to remember each of these skills to help benefit myself because I’ll actually known what I’m doing rather than asking everyone else for help.
This will help portray the star image and the mise-en-scene of the narrative and convey it significantly to the target audience.
Here is my complete magazine draft.
Feedback given includes :
Front cover :
- Add some more cover lines ( on right hand side )
- Need to replace pictures of actual artists with own images
- Background colour needs replacing
- Maybe the eyes have been over whitened ?
Contents Page :
- The Autumn 2019 can be changed to a smaller font size
- The picture sorta looks indie but it sorta works
- Cant really see the page numbers next to quotes or statements ( need to change colour / font )
- move the social media icons to the bottom
- Change font of cover lines
- Maybe add an explanation of cover lines ?
- use more modern / simplistic fonts
- Maybe add some yellow into the theme because there is some in the DPS
Double Page Spread :
- Make the cover image bigger, make the model more visible
- Simplify fonts
- Get rid of hyphens
- try and justify responses
- the blue block needs straightening and made into one block rather than two
- add who wrote the article
- make sure alignment is correct
With this feedback, I will be able to correct the minor things listed above and make it to a better standard to it can convey the correct mise-en-scene.
And to improve on this feedback I shall incorporate all of the feedback and make a new and improved draft.
This is my new and improved contents page.
The changes that were made were :
- Have page numbers with the quotes to let the audience get quick access to the parts of the magazine which they’re interested in, as not everyone has the same taste.
- Added social media logos to indicate some of the current platforms which Pop-Hitz is currently active on.
- Make the Autumn 2019 a clear distinction from the main heading ‘contents’ by changing the colour of the contents heading and moving the Autumn 2019 to a different position and giving it a bit of depth by adding weight to the lines.
- Changed the background colour as it was originally one colour and quite dull, it is now multiple colours with clear distinctions of the different parts of the page.
- Finally, I added further detail by changing colours of fonts and the sizes of them to make it stand out more.
Because of feedback given and in order to attract the target audience I need the target audiences opinion.
For this, I will be using peer assessment.
Feedback given includes :
- The contents page work in tandem with the front cover because of the colour scheme, however I would change the main heading to a pink colour to give it more similarities. Because the current typefaces and the rest of the colour scheme is very consistent. And from looking at the current page, you can defiantly tell it’s a pop genre.
- Which cover-lines tempt the audience to read on and which ones stand out and why?
- For me, the cover lines shown all draw me in, but in particular I would say that ‘ Beyonce’s new romance ‘ & ‘ They sang with who?! ‘ defiantly are the most effective cover lines as pull me in, Beyonce is one of the most well known pop artists to date, and to hear some gossip about her is a must. And it doesn’t specify who is they, so I am intrigued to know, I just want to go straight to that page. The cover lines are defiantly eye catching and they just fit, it’s as if its from the genre itself saying it because it just fits.
- Some of the contents of this page are unconventional, for example the page numbers with the quotes are a bit hard to see, so this will need to be adjusted asap. But the rest of the page seems to be conventional to my standards, 0especially sticking with the same fonts; sizes; and colours;
After this peer assessment, I have gone over my contents page and made some minor adjusting ( which there is a list below of all the changes made ). And here is my new new and improved contents page.
- changed the colour of the main heading to fit in with contrast with the front cover.
- changed the colour of the page numbers next to the quotes to make it stand out more, and make it more see able.
- moved the contents slightly so it is all on the white part instead of being on the black as well.