Our shoot was quite manic! Although we had a clear plan of where we wanted to go, what we were doing and how we were getting there we still managed to get lost! Although our plans were originally to go to Fort Richmond we ended up going to a nearby forest called the get as it still had the correct mise-en-scene and we were running short for time.
I was in charge of bringing the props, Sasha and Haygan were in charge of the equipment and Sam, who was one of the models was in charge of picking us up and taking us to our wanted location.
When we arrived at the location we immediately found a good spot for our shoot and started straight away as we were pushed for time. We managed to get some really amazing images from it that supported our genre quite well.
Here are some of the images we managed to get of us working away!
Now we know our vibe for our digipak and what kind of designs we want we have started planning for the photo shoot and have created a new PMA and Risk assessment to ensure our shoot is successful and sufficient.
We have created a rough mock-up of our genres digipak design to get a look of what it will look like. We used a cool toned colour scheme and images that didn’t include a clear face so it matches or genre.
For our font we used something clean, calm and flowy to represent the more indie side of our genre and is inviting too.
My group and I decided to do 2 mood boards, 1 physical and 1 digital including fonts and images to start getting an idea and visualise what we want for our digipak. Indie rock as a genre is very creative, artistic and alternative so we wanted to portray that in our moodboards which I think we have done quite well.
Our physical one includes a lot of red’s and monochrome colours and looks quite messy to represent the indie rock genre. We also added in some cracks and crinkles in the paper.
For our digital mood board we added a lot of images from pinterest and tumblr and we have found a lot of images we like the idea of. we are going to use the idea of isolation and the tinfoil to create some abstract images as well as the light photography which we might just add in when editing. The images are all quite alternative and all have some kind of manipulation to represent our star being alternative too.
Overall I feel very inspired for our photo shoot and look forward to creating our own digipak design!
Camera Skills: The photography in this digipak is really good and fits their genre perfectly, their images are really high quality and they have positioned certain things appropriately according to the rule of thirds, e.g. Where the title is placed on the front cover.
Photoshop and Manipulation of Images: On the front cover you can tell that they’ve used Photoshop really effectively to manipulate their image and replace the sky image over the stars face and add the albums name. This is done so well it doesn’t looks natural.
Mise-en-scene: The mise-en-scene for this digipak is very appropriate and matches the genre very well, they’ve used an appropriate colour scheme and have used the correct props too for their genre. An example of this is the guitar on the inside right.
Text Colour and Typefaces: I think that the typeface they have used throughout the digipak fits the genre perfectly as it is thins and smooth rather than rugged and loud.
Overall I would rate this digipak fairly high as they have met all of the criteria and have done it well, matching their genre consistently and overall theme well.
In every digipak there are symbolic codes to show different ideas through imagery, display and fonts.
I chose to analyse a digipak from Twenty One Pilots’ “Blurryfcae” album as it suited our genre perfectly and was interesting and intriguing to look at. I focused on each specific font, colour and design so I could analyse it correctly and sufficiently.
This task has helped me so when I make my own digipak I know what to include and what my audience are looking for.