Please complete one of these essays as your final submission on spectatorship & documentary.
You should write approximately 1,000 – 1,200 words and should refer to at least two of the documentaries we have studied for this unit in depth.
- What are some of the pleasures that viewing a documentary film offer the spectator?
- ‘For the spectator, identification with certain characters is crucial to the viewing experience of documentary films.’ With reference to the films you have studied for this topic, how far do you agree with this view?
- ‘The best documentaries are those which are aware of the need to engage spectators cinematically.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
- ‘Documentaries should never be trusted.’ How important to the spectator is the sense that they should trust the documentary filmmaker? Refer to the films you have studied for this topic.
- Compare two or more approaches to documentary film-making and discuss which you feel has the greater impact on the spectator.
- Discuss the significance of cinematography and sound in shaping the response of the spectator to the documentary films you have studied for this topic.