To understand how to succeed in this unit, we will look at some previous students work and consider why it was successful.
Here is the assessment description for a top grade screenplay:
- Product fulfills its aims highly creatively and effectively
- An excellent understanding of the form and conventions of the chosen medium
- An excellent, highly creative and confident use of the relevant medium with a strong sense of reaching its intended audience.
Quality of written communication
- Excellently structured and accurate use of appropriate language to communicate clearly.
Okaaaay, sooo…what does this mean in practice? Here are the things we look at when marking your screenplay:
- Your use of the screenplay format
- Your description of the locations in your screenplay
- The narrative sense and development
- The use of genre (repertoire of elements)
- Visual sense – I can see the scene (like a film)
- I can hear the music and diegetic sounds in your sequence
- The description of the characters and their voice
- The rhythm of the scene and variety between scenes
Read through a previous students’ screenplay and consider the features above.
Here is a level ladder for the screenplay. Highlight or underline moments in the screenplay, when you think it meets those assessment criteria.