For our music video we need a range of narrative shots to tell a story alongside the performance shots. Recently we did a filming day of shooting these parts for our music video. Going into our shoot we had a general idea of what we wanted to get out of the day. Here is a list of pros and cons of the day;
- We had all the equipment needed worked flawlessly which did not slow down any progress
- Everyone involved in the video understood the desired outcome which we wanted to achieve
- We got a wide array of shots from different angles and perspectives
- Our day was organised to get as much possible time to get the most footage we could
- The weather on the day was not what was forecasted. We wanted a sunny day to give the shots more colour but it was very overcast making everything look much more grey. This will be altered in colour correction later on.
- We could have tried to created more contrast in the shots from our clothing by wearing brighter clothes. I feel the monochrome clothing blends in to the background a lot, this is something to modify for a next shoot.
- We wanted a lot of shots to be handheld and have some movement to them but a few shots were wasted from being overly shaky.
- Also, an equal amount of stable shots would have been good to get on the day and we will prioritise these for our next shoot.
Targets for next shoot:
- Get more steady shots such as shots of people and single profile style shots.
- Ensure the weather on the day will be good ALL day.
- Experiment more with contrast in clothing and lighting.
- Keep experimenting with different angles and creative techniques for filming while still getting the basic shots such as close ups etc.