March 12

Making a Montage

For another music video practice task, we decided to make a montage of an average day at school.

Above is our preparation for the montage. We used a storyboard for this and made sure we had up to 16 shots with a description of the cinematography involved.

3 Strengths were:

  • I gained extra knowledge using Premiere Pro
  • I understood different cinematography techniques when making the montage
  • I learnt how a montage is made and used the fast pace of one to make mine look accurate

3 Weaknesses were:

  • We had a limited amount of time
  • We could have gone to more exciting locations
  • I could have edited in more , adding more transition and video effects.

While experimenting successfully with titles, transitions, and music which helped further my understanding with the editing software, I learnt how to continue to further my knowledge with cinematography, camera techniques and using Premiere Pro to it’s full potential.

March 12

Preliminary Task

This is my Preliminary Task Continuity Edit, where I worked in a pair to direct, film, and edit to show I have a narrative sense when creating a piece.

  • I have used the following camera techniques; Shot reverse shot, Close Up, Mid Shot, Long Shot, to help the audience understand to narrative of the clip.
  • I used these techniques to create a sense of relationship between the two characters through their conversations and actions in the narrative.
  • I have learnt to use the following continuity editing rules such as Match on Action, Shot Reverse Shot, and 180-degree rule.
  • I used these rules to understand and correct my continuity mistake of not using the 180 degree rule.
  • I have learnt to use the following tools/techniques in Premiere Pro such as, Embedding and Cutting a video, Transforming a video vertically, and bringing all the footage together into one continuity clip.
  • I used these tools to fix the 180 degree rule as I transformed the shot vertically so both characters were on the left so the audience understood the spacial context.
  • If I was to do this project again I would do some things differently such as starting off with a Establishing Shot to introduce both characters, using more match on action to intrigue the audience further, and comply with the 180 degree rule.
January 25

So how did it go?

Throughout my magazine making I have learnt and developed my designing and photo shopping skills. I have also been given feedback every few weeks, and have continued uploading various drafts to show my further understanding of being a magazine editor. It shows my progress in the months leading up to my final drafts.

I really enjoyed the process of making them due to location shoots, photo shopping and independently choosing our genre and design of our magazine which helped my understanding about how much effort is needed to design, edit and produce a magazine. After receiving my final feedback after my penultimate drafts, I made sure all my targets were completed to ensure I was in the top band for my work and my magazine could be the best it could be.

January 23


This is the advert I have chosen to go next to my contents page in my magazine. I chose it due to my target audience and the colour scheme, as there is a ‘earthy’ theme to the background, including the Double Page Spread which is a ‘sky’.

I also chose this music advert as ‘Mumford and Sons’ are the same music genre as my magazine and also fits the colour scheme of the magazine. It would attract my target audience who I found out are 18-24 males who love mumford and sons/alt J styled bands – according to my previous research when looking at yougov.