Below is our digipaks attached with the JPEG and the PDF with the photos we took of it in the CD case
What we changed:
- We removed the tie die background and changed it to a solid yellow background
- The colour of the shadow from red and blue and added another layer
- The position of the word ‘VIBES’
- Added the word ‘VIBES’ repeatedly on the inside panes
- Changed the image on the back pane to just one hand to make it less busy
- Changed the position of the writing on the back pane to make it easy to read
- Added an inside spine in after realising it is seen from the front of the CD case
Feedback from peers:
We printed some pages with the panes of our digipak on so they could write us some feedback on what they like and what we can improve on.
Using the feedback we got from our peers, we have some targets to improve our digipak they are:
- Text too close to edge on front cover
- The star on the front covers eyes could be brightened to make them stand out more
- The stars neck is red on the front cover and it looks odd
- Could include some words on the Polaroids to fill blank space
- The text on the pane which is on the inside and shows when in the CD case, the text only has one layer of shadow whereas the front page there is two layers is it meant to be like that to be different or should there be two? maybe try with two and see how it looks. It is also hard to tell by looking at that part who is the artist and what is the album maybe switch Astrid and Vibes around to make more sense
- The track list font looks a little bit too simple maybe change the font
- Front cover is a little bit plain maybe something can be done to make it look less plain
- Background colour could be brighter on all pages
- Her top on the front page could be brighter
- Colours on inside pages could be brighter
- Maybe the bar code on the back could be made transparent so it fits with the design
What we will do
We made a short questionnaire to give 10 people who are typical audience members for the pop genre. We gave them this so we could get a tally on whether or not we are meeting the audience needs and wants for our digipak. We showed them our digipak in the CD case for them to answer it.
What genre is this digipak?
- Classical – 0
- Indie – 0
- Rock – 0
- Rap – 0
- Pop – 10
- Country – 0
- Hip-hop – 0
- Other – 0
Which adjectives best describe the digipak?
- Romantic – 0
- Rebellious – 1
- Creative – 3
- Quirky – 4
- Fun – 6
- Terrifying – 0
- Joyful – 3
- Melancholic – 0
- Uninteresting – 0
- Other – Flirty, Bold, Upbeat, Vibrant
Following on from this the audiene’s feedback is useful and pratical for my partner and I for our final draft of our music video because it allows the target audeience to tell us the feedback they want to give on what they like and what they dislike about the video. It also gives us a different perspective on the video as we have others looking at our music video and what could be changed to make it even better. This helped my partner and I realise what we are doing well and what is working throughout the video and also what we need to change in our creative mind and design to make the music video as successful as I possibly can and to make sure our audiecne won’t reject our text. Our typical demographics member who would ve a millennial who is also female. This is generally the type of personal we asked for feedback to make sure it is all revelant to each other, we will now use the feeback we have been given and alter and develop our digipak to create something our demographics would like to see and buy.
Above is our draft 2 for our digipak which includes the spines and the inside page. We completed the shoot before making this draft so we had the images we wanted for this draft. My partner and I decided that we wanted to keep the tie dye style background the same because we thought that the colours suited the genre perfectly and it makes the digipak even more vibrant and colourful and bright to suit our star image.
What has changed?
- Changed image of our star
- Added a inside page and another where the CD fits
- added colour behind the texts and chaged the colours for both of the texts
- Added a image of the model’s hands rather than just a regular background
- Added spines and put text onto them
- Changed font and aligned it into the middle
Added a inside page which consists of multipe little pictures of our star Astrid put into polaroids and the third page has a picture of the star’s hand with the coloured powder which the star had on her face just like the front page.
Feedback from teacher:
Targets for improvement for digipak:
- Change the positions of the text on the front, maybe putting ‘VIBES’ on the side next to ‘ASTRID’
- Brighten image on the front cover because she looks a bit grey.
- Few of colours could be brightened such as her t shirt.
- Red text could be a different colour because it doesn’t totally fit with the rest of the front cover.
- Quite a lot going on especially with all of the colours on her face and hands as well as the tie dye. Try with a more plain background to see what it looks like and if it will be better.
- Back is very busy and difficult to read so something needs to change there.
This is the shoot we did for digipak, it was successful and we got lots of potential idead from the images we can use on our digipak.
We managed to get lots of bright colours into the images using the coloured powders which we brought off amazon. The colours helped us reach the star image we want to produce which is a happy, colourful, confident, fun, bold, trendy, unique individual as well as meeting the conventions of the pop genre which includes lots of differenent bright colours. Using the powders it worked very effectively but it was quite messy so we had to spend time cleaning up, we could have planned to have more bin bags to cover more of the floor as we only brought one with us which didn’t take up that much room.
Our MES also turned out well and suited our star and the genre. The colours of the stripes on the model’s top were the same as the colours of the powders so everything tied in together well. We also managed to get the lighting right to really make the colours pop which is what we wanted to achieve.
Overall our shoot turned out really well and we are happy with the end result. We have a few options of images which we can choose from to use for our digipak covers and the inside.
Above is the contact sheets of our images that we will be using for our digipak. We were very happy with the result of our shoot as we got a variety of different shots. The main theme that we have used is the coloured powder and it turned out better than we expected and was very effective. For the outcome we were happy with how the shoot went the colours were bright and went with the rest of the MES. There are multiple images which we think will work for our ideas for the digipak. We took pictures of her face as a close mid shot distance which is one of the images that will most likely going to be the shot that we use on the front cover. Once we had finished the images of her face we took photos of the model’s hands with powder on them to maybe use on the back cover or for on the inside cover.
We will take some of the images we liked the most such as images; 1264, 1414, 1396 and a few other, into photoshop to edit them to make sure they are perfect for the covers of our digipak.
Below is the first draft of our digipak which we created in Photoshop and InDesign. As well as this there is a slide with the self assessment of the outcome of our digipak of what went well and what could have been better. Here is the Front Pane and Back Pane of our digipak.
What went well?
- The colours that we chose on Photoshop worked well with each other
- The image worked well with the colourful background we made on Indesign/Photoshop
How to improve it?
- To take images in the white studio as my partner and I just used the ones we already had.
- Change font on the back of the difipak to make it more pleasing to look at and maybe change the writing as black doesn’t fit in with our colour palette for our genre which is bright colourful colour.
- Change fonts on the front page as we used random fonts we thought could possibly work so we need to just pick one font.
- In the new shoot we are doing we are adding in colourful powders which we will put all over her face and also all over her hands so if the shoot is a success then we will use different shots that we will take and hopefully they can go on the inside page and the back.
Here is the slide of the self assesment of digipak
The overall aims for our digipak photo shoot is to:
- Get lots of potential images to use on our digipak
- Get high quality images (no blurry or out of focus ones)
- Include bright colours through the powders which need to be applied well
- Good MES which goes together and suits the genre and our star image
- Shots from different angles for a variety of choice we can use- higher and lower angles, eye level, mid shots and close ups as well as a few longer shots
Below is our production meeting agenda stating what we are neccessities including in the shoot and who is responsible. This allows us to make sure we are organised and prepared with a well laid out plan for our digipak shoot.
We also completed a risk assessment so we could identify all the potential risks which could happen and how to make sure they don’t happen. This made us think about our location and risks there as well as potential risks with our props etc.
In this task above my partner and I were given a task of creating a moodboard out of different materials and textures to visualise the colours we are representing. We made this using different shapes we can use as inspiration for our digipak. We used materials such as glitter, sticker, shiny fabric, tissue paper and gel paint. All of these different materials will help us and the audience visualise the MES that we want to create for the pop star or the backgrounds. We used colours we thought were conventional to the pop genre.
We also created a hand drawn mock up to give us ideas of how we should lay out our front and back pane of the digipak and what images we are thinking of using. Our idea is to have our star looking straight at the camera with a happy expression. She will have coloured powder over her face in multiple bright colours. We have then planned to use a bold font however we will need to look at different fonts we can use on websites and on our moodboard. We now have a plan which we can go into more detail using the risk assessment and the production meeting agenda. This portrays to the audience that the star image is confident, trendy, lively and bright. We are consturcting our genre through the use of bright colours, trendy MES, a sense of uniqueness and boldness.
In the task we had to research different types of moodboards which fitted in well with our genre which is pop. I looked on the following websites which are Pintrest, Typography to inspire, Colour Lovers, Behance, Dafont and many more. We created this on Padlet, I made a moodboard to help visualise the conventions of the genre and inspiration to create our own digipak. This means that you have to think of every aspect that the audience can see. This took a lot ot time and effort that goes into creating a digipak for our demographics.
When creating our digipak we have to consider the following which are images- the MES, locations, characters, designs, graphics, illustrations, photos etc. Typefaces, colour schemes, inspirations digipaks- something similar to our pop genre, Logos and copy ideas for texts. I have also looked for conventions of the pop genre which I will need to use for my digipak so the audience know the genre and want to buy the digipak.
Some of the conventions are the conventions are bold and easy to read fonts, an extraordinary look to the star- they have to look famous and give something for the audience to want to look up to, bright colours with lots of pinks and reds due to a common theme of pop songs to be love and these are colours commonly associated with love. By doing this I could see all of the colours which are used in the pop genre and what sort of colours I should think about using for the digipak. I also got some inspiration for costumes, hair and makeup and also some props which can be used to create the star image we want to show.
We then had to consider using all the following features below to create the ideal moodboard, below is the mood board I made:
Here is the mission statement for the promotion package for the release of our stars album. This is a neccissity because it outlines how we are going to produce the star in the media and how we are going to get the audience to receive it and give us a guide on what we are going to include to achieve this. To create this we used intergrated advertising which means using different types of media to advertise something making the audience/ consumer become more aware of the presence of the artist and album. By creating a brand and advertising it through multiple social media channels then the audience will be able to recognise it and want to purchase there album and future albums. I will use this this to construct my product by using intergrated advertising in my digipak.
Our Star is called Astrid, her star image is a colourful, confident, trendy, lively, bright, quirky, upbeat and young solo artist developing her career through unique trends and pop music.
We want our audience to recognise the star image she is presenting and engage with the star by watching her music videos, downloading her album, going to concerts and following her social media accounts.
We will achieve this by designing a package which will intrigue the audience by using bright colours, trendy MES, a sense of uniqueness, boldness and star showing confidence to portray her image and make the audience want to listen to the album.