What is Foley?
A Foley Explained and Illustrated
Watch for independent study
Creative Intention: To record Foley sound for a short sequence in order to create a soundscape that adds a ‘…insert own adjective(s) here’ atmosphere.
- Create a new Premiere Pro Project in the D Drive of your computer in a project folder called ‘Your Name – Foley Sound’
- Download this clip of film into the Project Folder.
- Complete a ‘Spotting Session’, where you identify the sounds that should be in the clip, list at least 5 sounds which you will record in the next session.
- This should also include ambient sound, which will act as the base layer of sound throughout the clip.
- Create 5+ Foley sound using various objects that you bring in from home to create an atmosphere for the clip.
- In Audition import the sounds and sync them to the sequence.
- Create a title slate for the exercise, which includes:
- The Exercise Title: ‘Foley Sound Recording’
- Your Name
- The list of your Foley artist (members of your recording group)
- Credit the video maker:
- Export your Foley sound sequence, upload to your G Drive & YouTube
- Create a sub-page in the Sound section reflective journal called ‘My Foley Sound’
- Explain the role of the Foley sound artist
- The process you used to create the sound
- Reflect on how Foley sound can be used to add meaning to film.