Below are the 2 adverts which I have included in my music magazine.
The first advert I have chosen is Avon. I chose this one because firstly it was a feminine magazine and this was feminine aiming product also it was going along side the contents page, as my contents page was primarily red this went pretty well. however the main reason i chose this one was because it is advertising the brand little red dress and my contents page model is wearing a red dress so it went well with the theme.
The other advert I chose was Beyonce music tour advert. This was because this is another music related avert that will go well in my magazine. Also on my double page spread the article includes Beyonce in it so it does relate to it.
Here is my article I have written about my star Laura Scott, the article is going to be placed on the double page spread of my magazine:
Amongst our peers in the class we have read one another so we can reflect on areas which do not sound right and any missing punctuation. We then gave feedback which helped us to improve our articles.
From the feedback given my targets to improve the punctuation in this and just make sure I read through checking all spelling errors.
Using my Article development planing sheet I have written down what I would like to be included in my article. I have included the key points, story line and names of artists needing to be featured. Additionally included in the planning is what would feature every paragraph. Using the article planning sheet should make writing my article easier and quicker to write.
Below I have analysed a music magazine to see how to present a real magazine and to help inspire my article writing.
Here is a link to a Q&A which I have analysed:
Music magazine language analysis
Q Magazine, (Sept 2017) 10 tips
- The article by Q magazine used a unique and effective type of question and answers for their written section of the paper. This is because there are no real questions asked as they have been covered up by the use of slang type of questions and abbreviations, this way of writing makes the reader want to read what the question is truly asking an artist.The presentation of the page is effective, engaging and easy to read and understand.
- Typically how the words are presented make it more effective and making people want to read on. Firstly, before the 10 tips start the use of play on words is effective as they follow the page down mostly because it is placed in a arrow and makes you follow the page down, this expressed as ‘10 commandments’ this uses biblical words which are followed through on the page saying ‘Thou Shalt Covet These Five Albums’ these are religious terms associated to the bible.
- The use of colloquial language makes it less formal and more like a magazine. It changs it from being a newspaper article to magazine. It engages people who do not want to be going to read a big paragraph of words as they immediately know it would be interesting and not a fact file.
- Using a quote on the first page of the double page as a headline is effective as it draws in a reader. The effective of this make people now without reading the next pae is that it either includes quotes or is from the actual artist and not made up. The use of quotes make an reader believe it is the truth an is what they would actually say and not made up. As well as that it makes it up to date and realistic.
- The use of the numbers breaks it up, which makes it easier and engaging for a reader as they don’t have to read one solid block of writing. The same effective is on paragraphs it makes it easier for an reader.
- The use of colour s effective the use of black and white with red included make the red parts stand out. With images around is also effective as it relates the topic of the article so you do not have to read to know what it is on about. Finally the bold text make the main important areas the centre of attention and where you look first.
My feedback included:
- nice contrast of the 2 fonts per page
- included byline and photographers names
- Nice use of gradients
My targets included:
- More contrast in the image on double pages face
- Try and get a stroke behind the image
- include a quote on double page
- Price and date next too barcode which needs to be moved to the right
Feedback and targets:
Here is a screen cast of the feedback from my teacher:
My targets to improve my music magazine are:
front page :
- Make the image larger
- Split up words / make it clearer
- Background needs a bit of colour
- Need more contents
- The front page font is effective
- Masthead nice size and font
- Nice clear powerful image for contents page
- Bold clear fonts
I have created 3 pages of a music magazine, front page, contents page and a double page spread, I find that all the pages link together and follow my magazine genre ‘Contemporary R&B’. The models inside my magazine show that they’re, proud, powerful and a performer this is how artists within the real world of this genre like to be perceived such as Beyonce. Using a wide range of models with different type of facial expressions to show pride in what they’re doing, my artists are dressed like music stars and this is how they like to be perceived. With the design of the magazine pages I have looked for inspiration at other artists in the genre as well as other magazines like Q magazine and finding my target audience and seeing what t hey like to see the best.
Here is my first draft of my double page spread, I have included Latin writing to show myself how long my article needs to be to fill the gap I had left for the article to fit
- The image is nice, large clear and is in the right place, they like how it flows onto the article is effective
- The lines at the top give it a good structure.
Targets of improments:
- More colour
- The writing on Lauras are just does not look like it is in the right place
- Make the gradient flow through both pages instead of just behind the image
- Also the image needs to be lifted of the page, I will try to improve this by putting a glow around it or a shadow on it
From this feedback I m going to try to include colour also I would like to try and split the first paragraph of my article and place it nearer the image, this will try to create tension and seperates the inroduction form the srticle, and will hopefully make my double page spread look more presentable.
Here is my final draft of my double page spread, there will be little changes to this for my penultimate draft.
Changes for my penultimate draft will be to just add colour/ contrast to the image to make it bolder on the page. Also I will try and add a drop shadow to the image to push it off the page. Apart from that I am happy with my final draft.