Category: Video Preliminary

Prelim Montage

 

The purpose of this task was to learn how to create a basic montage, make sure that it makes sense and has plenty of shots. Plenty of mistakes were made during the making of this montage, the shots are not steady, the zoom-ins are clunky and the shot framing was off as well. While we have a narrative in this montage, and it’s displayed clearly, but the shots aren’t good. Biggest flaw in the production was that we didn’t take it that seriously during the filming. This was transparent during editing and crucially affected the final produce.

I have learnt that editing can be difficult, and getting the right shots and expressions is crucial to make the final edit as good as possible.

Thing that went well:

  1. We did everything to plan
  2. We managed to complete the project in time
  3. The edit made sense

Things that didn’t go so well…:

  1. The shots were not taken perfectly – a lot of them failed
  2. We messed around the set too much – this limited the amount of time we had to take better shots
  3. The edit was imperfect, the footage was not quality so the edit couldn’t really have either.

For future improvement,

  • Make sure not to mess about during filming, and to work with students who aren’t going to be messing about during filming.
  • Make sure that all of the planned shots actually turn out as planned before the editing.
  • Create better sound to go along with the montage.

Video Preliminary Task

This was our first go at creating a sequence.

I used a two shot, a wide shot, a close-up shot, a pan, a zoom-in, shot-reverse shot as well as match on action shots.

The two-shot was used to establish the setting as well as to create a sense of awkwardness. For example, in the beginning, I used a two-shot to establish that the present was bad, that the receiver did not like it. I also used a close up to express emotion of the character, so that the audience knows how they are feeling. I used the shot-reverse shots to connote the flow of the conversation, as well as match-on action shots to create a narrative sense. In one shot, I also used a PoV zoom-in shot of one of the characters getting mad, to convey the emotion that she was feeling, it created narrative sense and added to the drama that I was trying to create.

Some mistakes I encountered were I broke the 180 degree rule, once I was editing the footage I realised how this could confuse the audience as it was quite disorientating, it almost looks like the characters are changing sides throughout the scene, which can really confuse the audience. Another mistake I made was not enough close ups to represent the characters’s emotions. I had too many shot-reverse shots, instead of this, next time I will include more close ups or medium close ups, since editing them on spot is so much worse than actually taking them on set.

For future improvement, I will create footage obeying the 180 degree rule. This was the biggest mistake I made and I will make sure to keep to one side while filming next time.