The purpose of this task was to learn how to create a basic montage, make sure that it makes sense and has plenty of shots. Plenty of mistakes were made during the making of this montage, the shots are not steady, the zoom-ins are clunky and the shot framing was off as well. While we have a narrative in this montage, and it’s displayed clearly, but the shots aren’t good. Biggest flaw in the production was that we didn’t take it that seriously during the filming. This was transparent during editing and crucially affected the final produce.
I have learnt that editing can be difficult, and getting the right shots and expressions is crucial to make the final edit as good as possible.
Thing that went well:
- We did everything to plan
- We managed to complete the project in time
- The edit made sense
Things that didn’t go so well…:
- The shots were not taken perfectly – a lot of them failed
- We messed around the set too much – this limited the amount of time we had to take better shots
- The edit was imperfect, the footage was not quality so the edit couldn’t really have either.
For future improvement,
- Make sure not to mess about during filming, and to work with students who aren’t going to be messing about during filming.
- Make sure that all of the planned shots actually turn out as planned before the editing.
- Create better sound to go along with the montage.