Here is the first draft of our digipak
Feedback from teacher
- Image on front page is too grainy but likes the gradient of the shadows
- Likes the cross – thinks it gives a powerful image
- Likes the symbolism of the cross and the broken mirror
- Quality of photos need improving – maybe through another shoot
- Not sure what the last photo is supposed to be of – needs changing
- Positioning of the group name needs to be changed
- Track list could do with bullet points or numbers for the tracks
Targets for Improvement
- Have another photo shoot and get new photos for the inner right and back sides
- Edit the track listing to make it stand out more
- Choose another photo for the front cover and edit it accordingly
We have been making our website using the website wix. While making it we have learnt manny different skills.
We learnt how to embed various pieces of media onto our website. We embedded our music video as well as a streaming service for our album and social media links for sites such as facebook and twitter. Our social media links will allow the audience to be able to communicate with our star.
We also used a fade in effect for our bands name on the hero shot of the website and we were able to edit the pace and motion of the transition. This added movement to the website and helps to keep our audiences attention.
Here are the photo mock ups for our digipak using images that we found on the internet as well as fonts and effects on Indesign. We have decided to go for a gothic theme as this reflects the brand of our artist well and plays into similar themes from the music video.
Here is the mood board for our artist, forevermore.
For our mood board we wanted to create a red and black colour scheme with some gold accents. These colours include cultural codes of anger, love, darkness and grandeur which is what we want to convey about our artist. Our mood board has lots of Gothic images including church windows and crosses, which matches with our stars’ edgy and dark persona. The font of our band name is also in a gothic text to tie together this theme. The mood board has a slight focus around eyes which is something we want to incorporate into our digipak, as it hints at a more mysterious side.
Mood boards are important as they help to create a specific idea of what the product could look like and gives an overall direction for it to follow. We will use our mood board throughout the creation process to help us finalize the design and to use as a guide for the final product.
Camera and Photoshop
The photos used are all of good quality but there is not much variety within the shots. The inner left and back sides are both medium close ups but the medium distance shot of the band gives a nice contrast to the closer shots of the rest of the digipack. Meanwhile the manipulation of photos is exceptionally good, especially the use of colour throughout the digipack. The colours that they have used are conventional of the indie rock genre. The inner left side is very cleverly manipulated so that the hands are only different colours while still looking realistic.
Mise En Scene
The mise en scene is okay. It doesn’t seem out of place within the concept and genre of the band but does not do anything to connote the genre. Due to the editing of the photos it is also hard to see what the groups costume is and what the props are on the back page.
Integrated Images, Text, Use of Colour and Typeface
The typography for the digipak is simple, clean and fits the genre well. The font is easy to read as the white of it contrasts well with the darker colours of the rest of the product and is consistent throughout. The text is well placed and allows for easy reading.
The digipak has all the features of a conventional digipak, and conveys the genre of the band well. It has been made to a high standard, with the inner left side being a particular standout. The theme is consistent throughout and the camera and Photoshop work along with the typeface is professional and gives the digipak a strong theme.
Our brand, Forevermore embraces the darker side of life. They have a contemporary twist; they are alternative rock with an edge. The group uses electronic musical features to create an overall angsty, fast tempo, sound which embodies alternative rock. Our brand audience and demographic that we aspire to engage with is young individuals who may have lost their way or have a certain anger towards life and society and who may be outcasts. Our brand may be misconstrued with more hardcore rock values but we aim to combine those primary values of feeling lonely and lost with a softer edge to embrace the alternative sound and music of the genre.
Here is an analysis of a digipack from our chosen genre. First we created a collage of albums in order to gain an idea about the conventions of our genre and then chose an album and analysed it in detail, looking at whether it met the conventions of a digipack and of our genre.
Here is our draft 4 for our music video. After the feedback from draft 3 we decided to focus on solidifying our narrative and making sure that our audience would understand the symbols and themes within it. We also decided to play with the colours of our video.
We used colour correction to make the shrine scenes stand out more and emphasize the red, which’s symbols are important in showing our narrative. We also made the performance sections monochrome to create contrast and emphasize her grey outlook on life.
After finishing Draft 4 we asked one of our classmates to review it and comment on what she liked and disliked about it. Here is the screen castify we filmed with her:
- Good editing to the beat
- Mentioned that our character was distressed which means that we are conveying our narrative well. Also said later on that the video to her is about someone having a mental breakdown and being obsessive over the boyfriend which matches up to our narrative.
- Likes the light effects done with the torch
- Likes how when our character spins the lyrics match her actions
- Likes the shot where the flame travels through the flame
- Likes the shot
- Says that the editing of our shots helps the audience to connect with the song
- Really likes the shot of her smiling at the end
Negatives and how to improve:
- Some shots were too shaky so they need stabilising or taken out
- One of the shots needs to be brightened so that you can clearly see her lip syncing
- Near the end there is a section that needs editing so that it makes narrative sense
- Didn’t understand what the flashbacks were for but understood that they were there to show a different side to our character so we need to edit these better to show their significance.