We chose images 0309, 0311, 0312 and 0320 because of the strong contrast in the lighting. We felt like the lighting gave these images gave an edgy and alternative vibe, and were good enough quality to be edited easily.
Images 0336, 0339 and 0403 were chosen because of the ghost effect that was created by the blur. This effect fitted well into our desired theme of monsters or the otherworldly.
The orange lighting of images 0358 to 0367 is why we chose these images. The lighting gives a mysterious aura to the photos, with the dim lighting also creating a grainy quality which we felt matched with the edginess of our theme.
Here are the rest of the photographs which we deemed to be not as good. This was because they were out of focus, had bad lighting or the model was making the wrong expression for our cover.
Here is the production meeting agenda and risk assessment for our Digipack photo shoot. Production Meeting Agendas are important as they help us to stay organised and keep a track of shots that we have done. Risk assessments help us to stay safe.
Here are the photo mock ups for our digipak using images that we found on the internet as well as fonts and effects on Indesign. We have decided to go for a gothic theme as this reflects the brand of our artist well and plays into similar themes from the music video.
Here is the mood board for our artist, forevermore.
For our mood board we wanted to create a red and black colour scheme with some gold accents. These colours include cultural codes of anger, love, darkness and grandeur which is what we want to convey about our artist. Our mood board has lots of Gothic images including church windows and crosses, which matches with our stars’ edgy and dark persona. The font of our band name is also in a gothic text to tie together this theme. The mood board has a slight focus around eyes which is something we want to incorporate into our digipak, as it hints at a more mysterious side.
Mood boards are important as they help to create a specific idea of what the product could look like and gives an overall direction for it to follow. We will use our mood board throughout the creation process to help us finalize the design and to use as a guide for the final product.
Here is an analysis of a digipack from our chosen genre. First we created a collage of albums in order to gain an idea about the conventions of our genre and then chose an album and analysed it in detail, looking at whether it met the conventions of a digipack and of our genre.
Here is our draft 4 for our music video. After the feedback from draft 3 we decided to focus on solidifying our narrative and making sure that our audience would understand the symbols and themes within it. We also decided to play with the colours of our video.
We used colour correction to make the shrine scenes stand out more and emphasize the red, which’s symbols are important in showing our narrative. We also made the performance sections monochrome to create contrast and emphasize her grey outlook on life.
After finishing Draft 4 we asked one of our classmates to review it and comment on what she liked and disliked about it. Here is the screen castify we filmed with her:
Good editing to the beat
Mentioned that our character was distressed which means that we are conveying our narrative well. Also said later on that the video to her is about someone having a mental breakdown and being obsessive over the boyfriend which matches up to our narrative.
Likes the light effects done with the torch
Likes how when our character spins the lyrics match her actions
Likes the shot where the flame travels through the flame
Likes the shot
Says that the editing of our shots helps the audience to connect with the song
Really likes the shot of her smiling at the end
Negatives and how to improve:
Some shots were too shaky so they need stabilising or taken out
One of the shots needs to be brightened so that you can clearly see her lip syncing
Near the end there is a section that needs editing so that it makes narrative sense
Didn’t understand what the flashbacks were for but understood that they were there to show a different side to our character so we need to edit these better to show their significance.
After our first narrative shoot we decided to change the narrative and do another shoot. We did this because we felt like our narrative wasn’t easy to understand through the shots we had already gathered and that changing the narrative slightly would allow us to make a more interesting video.
Here is our new storyboard and production meeting agenda:
Here is the third draft of our music video. Since draft 2 we have done another narrative photo shoot and inserted the footage into the video. We have also started to edit the story line so that it made more narrative sense.
We asked some of our peers to review our video and here are their comments:
From these comments and our own ideas we have come up with a list of things that need to be improved
Do some more pick up shots of the match to make the symbolism more clear
Add more fast paced cuts to match with the tempo of the song
Get rid of some shots that do not work and replace them with something that fits the narrative better
Here is our Draft 2 for our music video. There are still shots missing as we have only done one of our two narrative shoots. We added the narrative shots we had and edited them with the performance to show the two sides of our star.
What went well:
The editing is matched to the beat of the song well and is effective
The shots we used are steady
The lip syncing matches with the song
Targets for the next draft:
Have our next shoot so we can add the shots in
Edit sections that don’t quite work
Add more lip syncing
Due to our missing shoot the narrative story line is not clearly shown so our focus will be to show a clear and cohesive narrative