This is our star image planning slideshow, showing the artists meta-narrative, showing how he comes across to his fans and to the press through social media, his pictures and newspapers. This will impact on our own star image as we will be able to incorporate some of his ideals into our star, whilst being different and extraordinary.
This is our narrative storyboard, explaining to us what shots we are planning on getting and in what order. This gave us an idea and plan for what we are shooting, and how we will arrange what we’re shooting. We plan to have Bilal with a hammer, then film him smashing a picture of her, grace singing, Bilal looking like he’s stalking her in the dark, to name a few.
Lennie Lenfesty, Creative Director at Specsavers, came in to one of our lessons, and came round to speak to each group, and give advice. He told us that we can edit our music video in different ways to what we know, for example, by adding a ghosting effect, or playing around with different colours, and styles. He told us how to make shots slow motion and sped up, which is very helpful, as one of our plans is to have a shot of grace with Mia walking forward from a long shot into a close up of her in slow motion, and then speed it up into a fast forward almost.
Here is a copy of some of our notes from the feedback:
This is a video I found, explaining how to make things slow motion on premiere pro.
This is our narrative production meeting agenda. This document has allowed us to plan every thing we needed for our shoot, and who’s responsible, as well as the locations, and sorting out equipment. We have shared this with our performer, so she could see what she needed to wear for the shoot. This has helped us a lot, as it is planned rather than just us winging it.
I believe our shoot went very well. We achieved most of the shots that we wanted, and achieved the theme we wanted for the performance, however, we did not get enough close up shots. I think our framing is good, the lip syncing worked well, and she looks creepy, which is what we wanted, as it fits our song. On the narrative shooting day, we are going to spend some time just getting some close ups, as we didn’t get any, when we thought that we did. We got confused, as we did do close ups, of her eyes twitching and mouth, but we had thought we had gone through the song in close up, but we hadn’t. This is what we need to do on the day.
I think next time we need to:
Be more time precise
Make a more precise shot list so we know exactly what shots to do
Get a wider variety of shots
These are photos of myself, mia and grace from our performance shoot, doing a close up of grace performing.
These are our Narrative development ideas for our music video, describing the way we are going to shoot our music video, what we want Grace and Bilal to be doing, and the order we are going to do it in. We are trying to make it a linear video whilst non linear as the plot will all be jumbled up . Doing this will portray our star image in a good light, as it will match the performance, of a creepy, weird woman, and have intertextuality in the piece. We aim to have this story as anachronic to match her personality, of how weird she is as well as her pursuer. However, it is a complete story, as we see the ending to the story at the end of the video, and therefore becomes more conventional.
I think that our performance shoot went very well. We achieved the correct Mise en Scene, and made her look creepy, just like the song. However, we have some targets:
We thought we had taken enough shots, but we actually didn’t go through the whole song in enough shots to make it interesting, and many of the shots look the same.
We need more closeups, of her mouth, her eyes, just for some more variety, so it interests the readers more.
We could include some long shots, and some extreme close ups too.
For this reason we are going to reshoot for an hour or so on our other day, to fix this problem, get more close ups, long shots, and more variety. However, the shots we have are what we wanted, so far.
For this project, I am working with Mia Quintal. I am very unhappy about this, as Mia is dedicated and hard working, with lots of ideas. We both had to create pitches of different songs, so we could come up with a final song choice, without rushing into it.
This is Mia’s video:
I usually do not listen to electronic music such as this, and and was surprised that I enjoyed this song. Her ideas were to have a stalker, following a girl. I thought this would work with the song, and we are both thinking of extended ideas currently. Compared to the song I picked, this song is much better, as it has lots of opportunities for editing in post production, and it is an interesting topic. We will be using this song, as it is different to what most others have done before.
This is a Performance Meeting Agenda. This document has allowed us to plan every thing we needed for our shoot, and who’s responsible, as well as the locations, and sorting out equipment. We have shared this with our performer, so she could see what she needed to wear for the shoot. This has helped us a lot, as it is planned rather than just us winging it.