- What did Radiohead do in 2007 that shook the music world, in terms of distribution decisions?
Asked fans to pay what they want for their album.
- What did Radiohead do in response to blackmail from online pirates in 2019?
They released the stolen records themselves calling it MINIDISCS (HACKED).
- What two stages of the music industry are primarily involved in the ‘drop release’ process of an album or track?
Marketing & Distribution
- How did the marketing campaign begin in June 2019?
Mysterious posters and flyers were found in places like the London Underground, or phone booths in Milan.
- What was the fictitious company called in these preliminary adverts?
- What did the Dream Camera of this company promise to do for callers who called the mystery number?
You would get your dreams back.
- Why was this campaign described as an ‘internet scavenger hunt’?
Callers were left perplexed and unnerved.
- What did the huge projections on London landmarks point towards?
ANIMA industries but nothing to do with Thom Yorke, until the website was found.
- Phase 2 consisted of what in the campaign?
The accompanying short film.
- Where did this film showcase and premiere and where was it later shown for free?
A youtube teaser trailer
- What was broadcast and relayed simultaneously as part of the ‘simulcast’ of events?
The 27th June marked ANIMA’s ‘drop’ or release day. As a sort of simulcast (where programmes or events are broadcast simultaneously across more than one medium) some IMAX screens showed Paul Thomas Anderson’s film for free on this day too.
- The multi-format release strategy involved releasing the album in two places simultaneously – where were these?
The website – ANIMA industries and record stores
- What response was expected from the die-hard Radiohead fans? Why was the marketing/distribution campaign so engaging?
Very popular – scavenger-style puzzles and the multi-format physical releases. They value these physical artifacts.
- Which entertainment platform looks set to become a new distribution, marketing platform?
Youtube, Netflix and IMAX
- What type of narrative is used for the music video – amplified, disjunctive or illustrative and why?
Disjunctive – there was no relation between the music and the video. This just added to the song.
- What do you like/dislike about the video – 5 x bullet points.
- The setting and the lighting, etc were very interesting and worked well (changed) when the tone of the music changed.
- The choreography throughout the whole video was intriguing and interesting to look at.
- Has a main character that is followed throughout – potentially trying to find his love?
- Too long
- Very strange so can be very confusing and hard to follow or understand.