For our narrative shoot we went to a variety of locations, including: Havlet, Love Shack, Friquet, Dylan’s house, town, half way, beach and a bus shelter. Overall I think it went well. It was abit stressful at times due to having a lack of understanding of the narrative and organisation skills.
- By going to so many locations gave us a wide variety of footage that we could use , it meant we could pick and chose what we wanted to include.
- We filmed a wide variety of shots and angles , including: low angle’s, mid shots, extreme long shots
- We had a different outfit for each location, this has made our video look so much better as reinforces different days
- We had to re shoot some of the narrative clips that we had already filmed. This was due to it being to dark
- didn’t get enough close ups
- Some of the framing wasn’t very good
Above is our first draft of narrative and performance. It took us along time to decide what clips work and which ones don’t. We are still deciding whether to take out some clips as they don’t really fit in with the music video.
What went well:
- We made a clip were there is double of Chloe
- Changing the colours of the photos
What didn’t go well:
- The narrative doesn’t make clear sense
- The narrative is also a bit typical and ordinary
Targets for improvement:
- Get rid of the clips of Olly at work place
- Include more cool effects
Summary of Feedback:
- Clips are nicely framed
- Nice cuts between clips
- Good cut to close up when Chloe starts singing
- Video is working well
- Double effect of Chloe is very clever
- Nicely framed
- Likes the background
- Likes the performance clips in front of the skip
- Good shot of Olly walking
- Cutting from long shot to mid shot works much better
- Chloe is talking in one of the clips, which looks odd
- For the mirrored shots have things in threes otherwise people think its a mistake
- Put grainy filter on clips
- Jump cut need them to jump to other side of wall otherwise it just looks like a bad edit
- A lot of talking, need more pick up shots of them being a happy colour
- Chloe looks at camera in one of clips
- Need to see them waling away from eachother, need to see him sad
- Need to add more performance shots of the skip in background
- Repeat shots at the Chorus, repetitive
Reflection: I think that there is still a lot of areas that still need editing in our music video. For example we want to add more effects on the the clips and make more creative clips e.g the doubling of Chloe. I think that or much video is now focusing on a relationship between two people and is showing clips of them all loved up until it all falls apart. I also think we are starting to drift away from the hobo clips in the music video. This is due to them, not fitting in with the style of the music video and it is quite confusing to watch as Olly suddenly is just sitting on a bench, if we keep this in it will create confusion for the audience.
What new design skills or production techniques have you learnt? What went well and even better if… Screenshots of skills in action. i.e Premiere Pro editing in action
Above is our production meeting agenda for our narrative. This sheet will help the shoot to go as smoothly as possible. It includes everything we need to bring in order to create the right Mise En Scene. It also helps us to know the timing and location for the shoot in order to not waste any time.
We worked together to create a short story including Lego figures. We got given a post it note which had a theme on ours was new/old, we then made video representing that.
- Does it fulfill the traditional narrative structure?
Yes, this is because the video has an equilibrium, distribution and a resolution. The video starts off with introducing the characters (equilibrium), then towards the middle of the story the camper van runs over the horse (distribution) resulting in the horse going flying (resolution)
- Do the characters fulfill conventional character types?
Sort of as the Lego figure on the horse is clear to identify. The only thing that creates confusion is him holding a tennis racket. The short clip shows the horse as the good guy and the camper van as the bad guy.
- Are there binary oppositions?
There are binary oppositions as the Lego man on the horse and the camper van are very different. The camper van tries drives past the horse then decides to come back round a knock him over, the horse then got him back by pushing him off the table. The clip also shows a love vs hate and entrapment v freedom.
Music Video narratives can differ from these conventional ideas, this is due to them being able to play with time, space and can be anachronic and thematic.
This sheet includes the key moments of our narrative. This helps us to outline the key moments in the music video so we can make them stand out. It also outlines the type of narrative we are going for, the Mise En Scene we have portrayed, locations and camera angles. All of these factors we help us to get a better understanding of what we want our narrative to look like. It also will help us maintain structure for the music video and make sure we don’t go off track and cause confusion for the audience.
need examples to illustrate equilib irum, disruption etc and binary oppositions and need an outline of the story at the end and intro with narrative terms
We all worked collectively together to edit the performance for our music video. We all made sure we had different parts to edit. We have a variety of long shots and mid shots but not so many close ups. This first draft soon made us realise that we didn’t have enough close ups. We needed more close ups in our video to create more of a connection between the star and the audience and so that the viewer can get a sense of the star on a personal level. There is still a lot of areas we need to address.
What went well:
- The variety of outfits help to create the appropriate Mise En Scene
- Having effects in the video has made the video more exciting
- The lip syncing was good
- The clips are edited to the beat
What didn’t go well:
- In some of the shoots the lip syncing isn’t exact, this makes it more obvious when Chloe gets the words wrong
- There is a few spaces in the video, where we need to edit clips in
- Need to include more tracking shots
Targets for improvement:
- Include more shots as we mostly just have mid shots e.g close ups
- Edit out the bits of Chloe laughing