We our peers to vote on a poll. We had written down a selection of genres and a list of descriptive words and we see them to pic one genre and one descriptive word that comes to mind when they saw our mock-up digi pak. We were happy with the results as they showed that our genre was clear and the majority of people thought it was alternative rock. However some people thought it was heavy metal, so we kept that in mind when moving forward as we may have made the mock-up too aggressive and heavy for the genre of alternative rock. The descriptive words that were chosen were the ones we linked to our genre and vibe, no one guessed joyful of girly which is what we were hoping for.
This is a contact sheet displaying photos we took on our first shoot. The aim of this shoot was to capture good images that we could further edit and distort to use for our digi pak. We need a front, back and inner left and right picture.
- Succesful: we took lots of pictures, uploaded them and then chose the most appropriate images that would be most fitting for our brand and image. Image 0343 was our favourite as the model has very direct eye contact with the camera, the quality is as we want it and the makeup and hair is effective.
- We did like the first 8 images however we felt the lighting and focus was not quite how we wanted it, we wanted a more retro and darker feel to the photo and unfortunately these images were not quite what we were looking for.
- Our favourite shots were the burned orange toned ones, the shadows are very intense and the lighting is really beautiful and portrays our style well.
- We also liked the photos taken with a low shutter speed as they gave a ghostly effect however we didn’t feel they fitted our genre well nought and that the colours were off.
- We liked the pictures of the smashed mirror as they are close ups and really show the sharp edges which really fit our genre and are interesting symbolic codes.
- The pictures of the red velvet are very effective and fit our genre well.
We didn’t like these shots because they were either our of focus, blurred or inappropriate for our genre.
Our brand , Forevermore embraces the darker side of life.
It has a contemporary twist;it is alternative rock with an edge. The group uses electronic musical features to overall create a angsty fast tempo sound which embodies alternative rock. Our brand audience and demographic that we aspire to engage with is young individuals who may have lost their way or have a certain anger towards life and society and may be outcasts. Our brand may be misconstrued with more hardcore rock values but we aim to combine those primary values of feeling lonely and lost with a softer edge to embrace the alternative sound and music of the genre.
A quote that embody our brand :
We created this moodpboard to present the themes we hope to include in our Digi pak. It is a bold and dramatic collage that includes cultural codes and denotations. The harsh red and black contrast is a cultural code associated with darker themes such as lust, danger, and gothic connotations. The colours are very rich and draw the viewers attention they also compliment eachother, the colours fit our genre of alternative rock well.
In terms of imagery we have included pictures of stain glass windows which represents our gothic theme. We have made our moodpboard very textured and busy to make the moodpboard visually engagin, we have included feathers, berries, materials and a rose. In our mood board we have included vintgae styled imagery for example dark roses, patterned materials and stain glass windows, however there are also sharper, more contemporary images as well such as the red lips and the eye. There are love hearts to represent the themes of love that in a common theme in alternative rock.
We came up the the “Forevermore” brand name and presented it in a gothic text to stick with our theme. Before starting on our moodboard we put together a pinterest page that included colour schemes, pictures and themes that helped us plan and visualize our physical mood-board. It is important to create a mood-board that represents the vibe of what you want your brands digi pak to look like as it gives inspiration and sparks off other creative ideas.
PDF of our digi pak cover-
This is our digi pak mock up front cover. We went onto Pinterest and selected this image to use for our front cover, we think it is very appropriate for our genre and will also have a powerful impact on the viewer. We particularly liked to the colours and the effect on the eyes, they look carved out and it gives a daunting touch to a pretty girl and we would like to bring that effect forward into our own front cover.
We liked the yellow/orangey/red tones as a posed to the harsh red we were originally planning on using as we felt the red was too dramatic.
INNER LEFT + INNER RIGHT
The inner left image of a stone angel on its knees.
Here are some key terms that I have discovered while learning about how to create my own webpage, I looked up a band who I am familiar with to take a look at their webpage and what they have included to make it practical and individual. This task has helped me gain a better understanding as to how I should create my own webpage and what I should include.