After a lot of planning and preparation for our digipak covers, we were inspired by a watercolour circle that we found whilst creating a mock-up for our digipak. We decided that the circular design worked perfectly on our inside right cover. To recreate this, we chose to use watercolours on an A3 piece of paper to create an authentic effect. Instead of going straight for the same as the original image we found, we decided to experiment with the same colour palette using different patterns.
In the end we decided to choose one similar to the original image as we felt that it fit with our digipak the best. We then took our image to photoshop to make the colours pop by making the background pure white.
To help us understand how artists use their websites to attract their audience and get them to interact with their page, we analysed an existing artists page ‘Death Cab For a Cutie’. This also helped us to identify convention and what elements they used that went against conventional methods. We decided to use elements of AIDA to see how they captured their audiences attention which we could use in our own web page.
I really like the way the front page turned out and how the feathers lead the audiences eyes down the page however I feel there are many areas for improvement. For example, a gallery page could be added to show some other images of our artist other than the hero shot on the front page. Use of a gallery will also show his audience how down to earth he is which fits with his image.
Musicians websites tend to feature news sections allowing their audience to keep up with what they’re up to and any new music. To add to the website, we could also put in some previous album covers.
I also feel that we need to put our digipak at the forefront of the website along with the music video. To attract more attention to it, we could also include a title to the music video to introduce it.
After having completed out research into different stars websites, we made a flow chart to show how our stars website operates and how it all links together. We decided to choose a fairly simple template as we wanted to do a complete overhaul and customize it completely to be unique to our artist. This is because we thought our artist had a uniqueness which we wanted to display in throughout the website.
To further understand the conventions of a website before I start creating mine, I decided to look at and analyse other musicians in my genres website to see what they have included. After finding more about website conventions, they appear to liken to magazines- the leaderboard of a website is what the masthead is to the magazine, the hero shot of a website is what the star image is to a magazine.
To create a unique indie digipak for our artist and their products, we decided to use illustration and graphics rather than photos. We decided that using Adobe Illustrator would be the perfect tool for the job. I had no previous experience with the program however Holly knew a little bit about it as she had previously used it for a project.
We started off by importing an image from the music video to use as a template for our album cover. We then used the blob brush tool to draw his outline. The blob tool allowed us to freely draw around our template image but also keep the lines straight and precise at the same time.
After starting to use the tool to draw the image on our front cover, we decided to try to experiment how it would look if we were to use the blob brush tool to create our font instead of using the ones provided to us on the programme. We made the decision to use this feature to do our fonts as we felt that it better fit the conventions of our genre, achieving a rustic, independent look. Use of the handwritten font also adds a personal touch to the album cover as his persona is very down to earth and ‘normal’.
While planning for our digipak, we originally only wanted to use graphics rather than photographs. However we decided to incorporate a photo into our inside cover as well as using them for our website. Our concept for the photoshoot was to use colours to show emotion. We also experimented with some feathers which we thought may be a good theme for our website.
Although we decided to use a photo, our main focus for the digipak was using Adobe Illustrator to create an outline of our star and the handwriting style graphics which display the album and song titles and the artists name. This is taken from the document we used to create our front cover.
After finding inspiration on the internet, we found the idea to create a watercolour circle to put on the inside cover where we would put our CD. Instead of creating it in photoshop, we decided to create our own physical representation of this design to then edit to add the colour effect we wanted. Using an A3 sheet and a palette of watercolours, we designed our own watercolour circles following the same colour theme from throughout our digipak.
For us to understand whether we were creating the right vibe for our digipak, we asked some of our class mates what they thought our genre was and what emotions we were trying to convey. Overall we had really accurate responses about our genre and emotions. Through our digipak, we wanted to show a guy who was presented as down to earth, suffering the same emotions and going through the same hard times as ‘normal’ people. We felt that having an emotional, slightly nostalgic vibe to our cover, our digipak would fit the conventions of the Indie Pop genre.
However we still set ourselves some targets for improvement.
After looking at our digipak in a CD case, we quickly came to realise that our inside left image didn’t really fit in with the rest of the digipak so we need to decide on an alternative image to put in our real digipak.
Include a bar code and record label on the back to fit conventions.
Add the artists name on the front to give a sense of identity.