Flow Chart and Preferred Website Template

After having completed out research into different stars websites, we made a flow chart to show how our stars website operates and how it all links together. We decided to choose a fairly simple template as we wanted to do a complete overhaul and customize it completely to be unique to our artist. This is because we thought our artist had a uniqueness which we wanted to display in throughout the website.


Website Terminology

To further understand the conventions of a website before I start creating mine, I decided to look at and analyse other musicians in my genres website to see what they have included. After finding more about website conventions, they appear to liken to magazines- the leaderboard of a website is what the masthead is to the magazine, the hero shot of a website is what the star image is to a magazine.

Digipak Draft 1


After receiving some feedback, here are some points we need to improve on-

  • Use of mustard colour on the front to further the colour scheme
  • We need to place a copyright label on the back to follow the conventions of a digipak
  • It needs two spines instead of 1
  • The layout of tracks needs to be put in some kind of order
  • A slight difference between the album and artist name would be good
  • We need to play with the photo on the inside left cover on Photoshop as it is quite flat

Although we have many areas for improvement, we also received some positive feedback-

  • Our colour palette throughout is good and fits the genre
  • The graphic illustrations are good
  • The use of the mountains throughout is very good and creates a theme
  • Handwritten font adds a personal touch to the digipak

Production Skills Evaluation 3

To create a unique indie digipak for our artist and their products, we decided to use illustration and graphics rather than photos. We decided that using Adobe Illustrator would be the perfect tool for the job. I had no previous experience with the program however Holly knew a little bit about it as she had previously used it for a project.

We started off by importing an image from the music video to use as a template for our album cover. We then used the blob brush tool to draw his outline. The blob tool allowed us to freely draw around our template image but also keep the lines straight and precise at the same time.

After starting to use the tool to draw the image on our front cover, we decided to try to experiment how it would look if we were to use the blob brush tool to create our font instead of using the ones provided to us on the programme. We made the decision to use this feature to do our fonts as we felt that it better fit the conventions of our genre, achieving a rustic, independent look. Use of the handwritten font also adds a personal touch to the album cover as his persona is very down to earth and ‘normal’.


Contact Sheets and Graphics

While planning for our digipak, we originally only wanted to use graphics rather than photographs. However we decided to incorporate a photo into our inside cover as well as using them for our website. Our concept for the photoshoot was to use colours to show emotion. We also experimented with some feathers which we thought may be a good theme for our website.

Although we decided to use a photo, our main focus for the digipak was using Adobe Illustrator to create an outline of our star and the handwriting style graphics which display the album and song titles and the artists name. This is taken from the document we used to create our front cover.

After finding inspiration on the internet, we found the idea to create a watercolour circle to put on the inside cover where we would put our CD. Instead of creating it in photoshop, we decided to create our own physical representation of this design to then edit to add the colour effect we wanted. Using an A3 sheet and a palette of watercolours, we designed our own watercolour circles following the same colour theme from throughout our digipak.

Feedback on Mock Up and Targets

For us to understand whether we were creating the right vibe for our digipak, we asked some of our class mates what they thought our genre was and what emotions we were trying to convey. Overall we had really accurate responses about our genre and emotions. Through our digipak, we wanted to show a guy who was presented as down to earth, suffering the same emotions and going through the same hard times as ‘normal’ people. We felt that having an emotional, slightly nostalgic vibe to our cover, our digipak would fit the conventions of the Indie Pop genre.

However we still set ourselves some targets for improvement.

  • After looking at our digipak in a CD case, we quickly came to realise that our inside left image didn’t really fit in with the rest of the digipak so we need to decide on an alternative image to put in our real digipak.
  • Include a bar code and record label on the back to fit conventions.
  • Add the artists name on the front to give a sense of identity.

Digipak Photo Mock Up

In order to gather ideas for our real digipak, we took to the internet to create a photo mock up of what we wanted our end product to look like. We decided to try to create our own front cover and back cover using our own holiday photos and illustrations as nothing on the internet matched what we wanted to create.

Previous Students Work – Digipak

Before we began creating our own digipak, we looked at the work of a previous student to see what worked successfully on a digipak. Analysing the digipak also allowed us to gather ideas for our own digipak. I used the assessment criteria to evaluate the digipak. (Overall, I really liked this digipak, the harsh contrasts really work,  showing the emotions in the album.