After receiving some feedback for our first draft of our digipak, we decided to act upon it. To continue the colour scheme, we added a mustard colour to the front page to echo the colours shown in the watercolour circle in the inside right. We also added the copyright paragraph in the corner to fulfill the convention of a digipak and added another spine. To balance out the song titles, we added in mini versions of the watercolour circles. We also created a contrast between the artist name and the album title.
As well as this feedback, we also received a suggestion to add the mountain drawing on to the picture of the artist on the inside left pane to continue our theme.
After a lot of planning and preparation for our digipak covers, we were inspired by a watercolour circle that we found whilst creating a mock-up for our digipak. We decided that the circular design worked perfectly on our inside right cover. To recreate this, we chose to use watercolours on an A3 piece of paper to create an authentic effect. Instead of going straight for the same as the original image we found, we decided to experiment with the same colour palette using different patterns.
In the end, we decided to choose one similar to the original image as we felt that it fit with our digipak the best. We then took our image to photoshop to make the colours pop by making the background pure white.
We decided that as well as including graphic designs in our digipak, we would also do a photoshoot as we could then use the images in both the digipak and the website. Initially we had only thought to take a few basic pictures using the lightboxes, however as we were shooting, we found some coloured ‘light gels’ which we decided to experiment with along with some feathers which we decided would make our photo shoot more fun and colourful.
After receiving some feedback, here are some points we need to improve on-
- Use of mustard colour on the front to further the colour scheme
- We need to place a copyright label on the back to follow the conventions of a digipak
- It needs two spines instead of 1
- The layout of tracks needs to be put in some kind of order
- A slight difference between the album and artist name would be good
- We need to play with the photo on the inside left cover on Photoshop as it is quite flat
Although we have many areas for improvement, we also received some positive feedback-
- Our colour palette throughout is good and fits the genre
- The graphic illustrations are good
- The use of the mountains throughout is very good and creates a theme
- Handwritten font adds a personal touch to the digipak
While planning for our digipak, we originally only wanted to use graphics rather than photographs. However we decided to incorporate a photo into our inside cover as well as using them for our website. Our concept for the photoshoot was to use colours to show emotion. We also experimented with some feathers which we thought may be a good theme for our website.
Although we decided to use a photo, our main focus for the digipak was using Adobe Illustrator to create an outline of our star and the handwriting style graphics which display the album and song titles and the artists name. This is taken from the document we used to create our front cover.
After finding inspiration on the internet, we found the idea to create a watercolour circle to put on the inside cover where we would put our CD. Instead of creating it in photoshop, we decided to create our own physical representation of this design to then edit to add the colour effect we wanted. Using an A3 sheet and a palette of watercolours, we designed our own watercolour circles following the same colour theme from throughout our digipak.
Before we could complete our photoshoot, we sat down and discussed our aims for the photoshoot and the mise-en-scene we wanted to achieve.
In order to do our photoshoot, we first had to complete a risk assessment which outlines the risks we could encounter and how we could keep ourselves and our model safe.
In order to gather ideas for our real digipak, we took to the internet to create a photo mock up of what we wanted our end product to look like. We decided to try to create our own front cover and back cover using our own holiday photos and illustrations as nothing on the internet matched what we wanted to create.
To further understand our genre and how we wanted to present our star , we created a physical and digital moodbard to gather ideas about what colours, fonts, textures and designs we wanted to included in our digipak.
Before we began creating our own digipak, we looked at the work of a previous student to see what worked successfully on a digipak. Analysing the digipak also allowed us to gather ideas for our own digipak. I used the assessment criteria to evaluate the digipak. (Overall, I really liked this digipak, the harsh contrasts really work, showing the emotions in the album.
To start to create our digipaks, we had to understand the conventions and layout of a typical digipak. Generic conventions include the title and name of the album, record label, bar code, graphics or image and many more. In order to further understand how to create our own, we analysed a CD cover from the band Kodaline. Being able to understand and analyse these features will enable us to create the perfect brand identity for our artists.