After receiving feedback from some of our peers, we have made some tweaks to our video. We have finally added in the doodle effect that we have been practicing to some of our shots however we are still to add more doodles throughout. By adding the drawings we have emphasised parts of the narrative that we believe are important. To understand what people like and what further improvements need to be made, we asked one of our peers to watch and record her feedback of our music video.
Overall there were many positives however there were some points for improvement.
The drawings make some of the narrative clearer now
The outlines at the beginning are cool
The continuity of both characters jumping on the beat
The energy in the performance was good
All round steady shots
Variety in shots
Use of lyrics to make drawings is cool
Slow mo shots fit the ending
Some of the lip syncing is still slightly out
More close ups would help the audience to better connect with the star
After setting ourselves targets for next time, our draft 3 was made to address those aims. We managed to achieve some of those targets by using colour correction and stabilizing some of our footage. After trying to work on the targets we made ourselves last time, we made draft 3. Although we didn’t manage to cover all of the targets, we are happy with the way it turned out. To help us to produce an even better music video, we asked some of our peers to say what they thought about it.
In summary, most of the people giving us feedback liked the use of the contrasting backgrounds to show the difference between the two people and the way that the clips were shot and the variation of them. However, my peers thought that some of the lip syncing was still slightly out and incorporating the water in the background of the shots of the performance may make the shots more aesthetically pleasing.
After creating our first draft of just performance, we then went out and shot our narrative element of our music video. We learnt a lot from that shoot but came away with really aesthetic shots that showed a contrast between the two characters.
To improve from our first draft we have
Swapped out some of the shots for better shots, there were some shots of our performer by a wall which didn’t quite look the way we wanted them to.
Added in our narrative footage which completed the video
Added in some effects such as slow motion to add more emotion into the video.
However there’s still work to do
Correcting the colour in some of the shots to really emphasise the contrast
Fixing some of our lip syncing
Adding in stabilizers to some of our hand held shots to create fluid movements
To fully understand our audience for our video, I decided to do some research using yougov. The theory of reception shows that certain groups of people will receive the values and ideas in our text well (our preferred audience) while others will either completely reject the ideas or only accept a few (oppositional or negotiated). Further understanding our audience by looking at their interest, places of work and where they live, will help us to create an appropriate media text. Our target audience will have a preferred reading of our texts if we encode it with ideologies for them to decode.
For our narrative shoot, we decided to use a completely different location to show the contrast between the two people. This presented different challenges to our first shoot such as ground maintenance men, tourists visiting the gardens and a toddler play group. Although overall I think our shoot went well and we got a variation of shots which showed contrasting emotions between the performance and narrative.
To start off our shoot, we tested out our equipment to make sure everything was ready to shoot such as exposure and SD card storage, before we started shooting.
We then filmed the shots with the props such as the books
After filming a few shots, we realised that using the music would make our actor feel more comfortable and get a feel for the emotions we were trying to convey.
With the quick planning of this shoot, we could have been more prepared in terms of what we wanted to film and what we wanted to get from the shoot as we had a bit of disagreement as to what we wanted the narrative to be.
To help us prepare for the filming of our narrative, we created a storyboard to show the shots that we wanted to film which allowed the filming process to run smoothly. As we were filming a very short narrative, we only drew out a couple of shots as our ideas. In hind sight, maybe creating a few more drawings would have made the shooting process slightly easier however our shoot still went to plan and we are very happy with the shots we got.
To create our music video, we made a 3 point narrative curve which helped us to identify the 3 parts of our story and what messages we want to convey. Our music video does not follow the generic linear structure of a narrative as we will use an anachronic structure for our video to show the journey of the two.