Here I have made a document that states exactly what I need for my narrative shoot in order for it to be successful.
This document has allowed us to plan every thing we needed for our shoot, and who’s responsible, as well as the locations, and sorting out equipment. We have shared this with our performer, so she could see what she needed to wear for the shoot. This has helped us a lot, as it is planned rather than just us winging it.
Here I have made a narrative storyboard. This will help me to organise what I am shooting. Our plan is to have Bilal, framed as a stalker to be stalking the main character, Grace. We will have shots of Bilal smashing a photo of Grace, and stalking her in the dark. I hope to get some really creepy shots to convey my narrative as clearly as possible.
I thought that our shoot went really well. We gathered the majority of the shots that we wanted, and achieved our aims we wanted for the performance, however, we did not get enough close up shots where the singer didn’t mess up the words. I think our framing is good, the lip syncing worked well, and she looks creepy, which is what we wanted, as it fits the genre of our song. On the narrative shooting day, we are going to spend some time just getting some close ups, as we didn’t get any, when we thought that we did. We got confused, as we did do close ups, of her eyes twitching and mouth, but we had thought we had gone through the song in close up, but we hadn’t. This is what we need to do on the day.
Be more time efficient
Get a wider variety of shots
Make an agenda of what shots we need so we aren’t wasting time coming up with ideas.
Here are a couple of photos of Grace, Jordan and I on our shoot.
Lenny Lenfesty, Creative Director at Specsavers, attended one of our media lessons and gave each group a chance to tell him our ideas for our music video. Lenny taught us a few techniques on Premier Pro that would benefit us in the video. I had made a list of the things he was saying so I wouldn’t forget. I have also found some videos that explains how to do it in more detail.
Here is my production meeting agenda for my performance shoot on 11th May. This has helped me by listing everything that I need, where I am gong to be filming, and who I am going to be filming. Without this document, I could possibly forget some things to do, so I will be bringing this document with me to assure complete success in this assignment.
This is my rough cut of shots that I filmed on Friday 11th of May. I collected lots of variations of shots that will help us when editing the real thing. I felt like we did well and achieved the correct Mise-En-Scene as we made her look quite creepy, and this reflected the song really well.
Some things that we could improve on would be:
We thought we had taken enough shots, but we actually didn’t go through the whole song in enough shots.
We need more closeups, of her mouth, her eyes, just for some more variety.
For this reason we are going to re-shoot for an hour or so, to fix this problem, however, the shots we have are what we wanted, so far
Here, Jordan and I have structured a story mountain to help us organise our shots and keep us focused on the shots that we need to use. As you can see, we have mapped out the beginning, middle and end of our video, so we don’t get stuck on ideas for when we are filming. This task has helped Jordan and I stay on track about the entire narrative.
This is a screenshot of me asking SBTRKT if I have permission to use his song ‘Wildfire’. As he hasn’t yet replied, I will continue to use his song for my video. Asking for permission from your artist is important, otherwise the song would be copyrighted.
This task is to help us understand different shot types and why they’re used. I have explored a wide range of shot types and distances and why they’re used and what they do to the audience. This assignment will help me when filming my own music video, assuring me to use lots of different angles and distances and shot types to make my video look interesting and engaging.
In this assignment, we were asked to take a camera out and practice different camera and editing techniques to make it easier when we go to shoot our music video for real. I have listed some of the things that went well, and also things that we could improve on.
What went well?
We included a wide range of shot distances and shot types. This will help us when editing as we will have lots of material to choose from, therefore preventing the audience from getting bored of what they’re watching.
When filming, it was hard to hear the music as it was only coming out of a phone, I tried hard to lip sync as accurately as possible, and this ended up looking quite good when we had finished editing it.
The way that I was moving around made the video more interesting. If the video was to be made up of static shots, it would be unsuccessful and boring.
We could have included some filters to make the video look a little bit more interesting. The video is recorded in natural light and we didn’t change this, therefore making it look quite boring and unrealistic.
I would have liked to have used some slow motion shots on the “hey, yeah” lyric as its very important and we didn’t establish the significance of the line.
At 0.08, I am looking slightly confused. This obviously wasn’t intentional and we had obviously run out of material so we were just trying to get something in the blank space to fill it up.
The mise-en-scene is completely off also. As we had filmed it during school time, I didn’t have any costume or makeup that would be convenient for this song.