This is out 4th draft of our music video. Although we are proud of what we have done, we still have things that we need to improve on.
In our final draft, we will have these improvements resolved.
This is our third draft. Jordan and I have decided to remove the narrative that we had in draft 2 and go out and film a new narrative because we believe that we can convey the story easier if we were to re-shoot.
In this draft, it has changed from draft 2 because:
We posted our video on YouTube and got feedback from our classmates. The comments are shown here.
Jordan and I have still got things to work on for our draft 4 and we have listed them here.
In draft 4 we would hope to have fixed these errors and hopefully, the video will look better.
This is our screen castify from our teacher. She watched our video and picked out the things that she liked, and the things that she thought we could improve.
The things that she liked were:
The things that she thought I could improve were:
Jordan and I will work on these targets, but we may have to re shoot as we do not have enough shots. however, she thinks we have done well for our second draft.
This is our second draft, including the narrative of the music video rather than just the performance.
Jordan and I both contributed to the filming, editing and discussing it so the narrative looked just as we had hoped. Jordan and I decided that the narrative was slightly challenging to understand, so we will order it so it is clear to the audience.
When we do draft 3, we will aim to:
Some of the shots also have a black border around them, which we will be able to fix in production.
My song ‘Wildfire’ is a song in the genre of Electronic Dance music. Here is my audience ideology. Jordan and I discussed who our song and music video would appeal to the most. We used YouGov to see which people like artists in the same genre. As SBTRKT isn’t a very well known artist, we decided to look up an artist that fit into the same genre. As you can see, Jordan and I did some research on Disclosure. We found that in the majority of the UK’s population, women aged 18-24 listen to Disclosure. It is important to know your audience as you want to give them exactly what they want to see. When creating certain ideologies, you want them to enjoy decoding and understanding what the song and the story is about. This is what made Jordan and I fall in love with the song in the first place. This song gives off such a bold message, and we wanted to incorporate this somehow in our project.
This task really helped me to understand who I would be aiming my own music video towards. To help me do this, I applied the Blumler & Katz Uses and Gratifications and Demographics and Psychographics.
Jordan and I shot our music video during a school day where we had permission to film in town, and any other areas we liked. We filmed in an underground car park in town, and then on a cliff path above the Aquarium. We specifically chose these locations as we liked the Mise En Scene, and fitted in with our genre. The locations allowed us to have natural lighting which gave off an eerie effect in some places which we found to be very interesting.
This is a photo we captured when we experimented with running paint down Grace’s face to add an original touch to the shot. We decided that we wanted to add a little bit of colour into the video as we didn’t want the colour scheme to be the same the whole way through.
Overall I think that we used our time well, and got enough shots to create a good enough video, although, I wish that we had been more strategic and organised with the shots we were going to do because I found that we were stuck at some points trying to think of other shots we could do. Improvising really did not help. And we only realised this when we started editing and it was too late.
Our target would be to be a little bit more organised and strategic. we would do this by:
I think that Jordan and I should have had a plan for if things went wrong. For example, some of our shots didn’t work out how we wanted them to so we had to scrap the entire idea, so we were left stuck on what to do instead of that shot.
Here I have made a document that states exactly what I need for my narrative shoot in order for it to be successful.
This document has allowed us to plan every thing we needed for our shoot, and who’s responsible, as well as the locations, and sorting out equipment. We have shared this with our performer, so she could see what she needed to wear for the shoot. This has helped us a lot, as it is planned rather than just us winging it.
This is my rough cut of shots that I filmed on Friday 11th of May. I collected lots of variations of shots that will help us when editing the real thing. I felt like we did well and achieved the correct Mise-En-Scene as we made her look quite creepy, and this reflected the song really well.
Some things that we could improve on would be:
For this reason we are going to re-shoot for an hour or so, to fix this problem, however, the shots we have are what we wanted, so far