As expected, I have learned several new things since we started to to make digipaks, as well improved my previous skills.
After learning that we could not download and install new fonts from the web as we done when we designed our music magazines, we had to improvise, as the available fonts on InDesign aren’t good enough. So we returned to Adobe Illustrator. With Illustrator one could create custom fonts by the many tools available. Another bonus is that its in vector format, meaning that the files from Illustrator won’t show up as pixelated, making sure that the digipak will look much nicer. Messing around, we created this typeface.
We achieved this by using one of the tools on the side.
Using the one on the far right end, “wrinkle”, we attempted to manipulate text to look more wrinkled, however when tried it, ti always came up to wrinkled.
After messaging around the settings, we found that the intensity was put into 100%, an overkill. We toned it down to 50%.
Turning this down allowed to create the masthead.
We feel this appropriate to digipak. Being an indie rock band, connations such as energy and rebellion need to be present. The wrinkle tool allowed us to create a masthead that’s seems to be surging up with energy (pun intended), and a one step further interpretation is that its ready to blow, just like the degenerate society they’re up against.
Gaining to grips with Adobe Illustrator again might benefit us in the future, as for the website we could create any type of font we want to, if the available font selection is poor. Having some skill in Illustrator allows more creative freedom, we’re no longer constrained by font choice if we can create our own.
During one point in making a draft, we had the idea of adding an abstract background as the digipak is from the indie rock genre and its not unusual to see one have an abstract background. As we cannot take an image from the web and claim as ours by putting in the digipak, we have to make our own. After messing around in Adobe Photoshop, I managed to do something like this.
First off, I got an image of the “band sandwich”, with the background cut out.
Then I applied the crystallize filter, and turn the cell size to a big number, I think changed it to 300 approx.
After thats done, select the empty space around the image using the magic wand tool, right click and select fill…
leave it as normal and press OK…
and voila, you now have an abstract background.
The outcome largely depends on the settings and content available. Here’s some more examples.
The second specifically is an example of using multiple layers, the background was created by an normal picture “fill” picture of the model, while the green one is just a copy with the darken option in “fill”. However, in the end, we did not use any of these images, at least in the first draft. This is because no of them really fit the themes we want to express. The crystallized abstract background, although its a convention of indie rock, the messages communicated by it does not fit the overall theme. It suggests a minimalist band due to the lack of colour and shape. This is not the case, they’re a lively, cheeky band. The third image might work though, its absurd, cheeky and abstract due to mirror images of the model. It will probably work best for a biography part of the website, with each member has a biography accompanied by a portrait shot of themselves.
Another neat thing we discovered by pure accident is the reverse eraser tool, hidden away in plain sight. Its quite useful, as sometimes the magic wand tool and quick selection tool ignores an area or acts unreasonable, thus using the eraser tool manual will lead to better results. In the past, if I accidentally erased part of the picture, I had to undo and do everything again. However, by pure accident I held alt while using the tool, resulting in erased content coming back. As another example;
Then using alt – eraser tool…
Its back, well some of it, I didn’t bother filling it back up for an example.
This will certainly help much later on in the project, I’m certain that I’ll have to cut out more objects out of a background. The major thing I’ve learnt here is that try messing around with some keyboard combinations, there’s probably more hidden tools in Adobe software that can be used.
This is a good example that with Photoshop, you can create anything, all you have to do is mess around with a lot of filters, options and layers to come up with strange imagery.
Overall, I’ve learnt a few more skills in this project so far, allowing for more creative freedom (knowing how to create our own fonts), more ways to produce abstract imagery (from messing around in Photoshop fill tools) and much more time efficiency (I’ve no longer to undo eraser mistakes). With this new skills, I’m more confident in creating a successful digipak and website later on in the digipak.