By

Montage Task

As most music videos are basically extended montages, we had to have a practice in creating one. In this task, we aimed to make a montage emphasizing the repetition of our school day. We had to compress the entirety of a school day in to montage effectively as well. Before we set out to make the shoot, we had to plan our framing and the narrative. Below is our storyboard.

Below is my edit of the video.

  • One good thing done well is that in this video I’ve learnt the basics of using audio in the editing side, and implemented in the video, which is the song accompanying the video and the Windows error sound effect. Audio editing will be important during the production of the music video (such as removing the audio from raw clips), so learning it now is better then later.
  • I think we got the basic idea of conveying repetition and frustration through similar shots, the eyeline match and close ups.
  • The framing on the whole is good, most of them did contain rules of thirds.
  • One major weakness of this montage its way too long, it only supposed to have been 30 seconds long. During the storyboard period, we didn’t have a sense of how long each shot was going to take. Looking back now, there were too many traveling shots which took too much time, even with the attempted fast cuts.
  • One editing trick I tried to implemented is fast cuts into to emphasize the speed of time in the video, however I done it quite poorly, leaving some clips to hang which undermine the speed I’m trying to communicate.
  • I would say there aren’t a wide variety of shots, the’re mostly comprise of long, medium and close up shots. We should have tried to add a pan, and maybe a crane above the stairs.

Overall, I don’t feel happy about this montage, it shows there’s a lot of improvement to be made, in the planning and storyboard department, my fast cuts, and wider variety of shots need to be considered in the future.

By

Continuity Task

Before we start working on our music videos, we must learn the basics of cinematography and editing. After a few lessons, we went out and filmed on scene to show our understanding of what we learnt and to practice. We planned some of the camera shots in our planning sheet.

Below is my edit of the shoot we have done.

In this task, I have used the following camera techniques: POV, two shot and the 180 degree rule.

I have used these techniques to create the sense of relationship between the two (in two shot), a reason to sympathise with one of the characters (POV), and to avoid confusion (180 degree rule).

I used several continuity editing rules, such as shot reverse shot to make it easy to follow who’s speaking, match on action to empathise the ferocity of the action.

In Adobe Premiere Pro, the editing program we’re going to use, I already learnt a few tricks. One is the razor tool, it allows me to split down one clip into smaller clips. This allows me to put the different clips elsewhere. This is quite useful when editing to make a shot reverse shot.

If I were do to this project again I would pay more attention to the actors. If you pay attention, some of the actors aren’t in the right location, which messes up the continuity. I also found that they spoke way too fast, which leads to some troubles in editing, making it hard to arrange the clips. It didn’t help that they had a habit to look down for the script, but that’s not their fault, they missed a few lessons and had to learnt the script on the day of the shooting.

 

Skip to toolbar