Music Video Form & Conventions

This is my analysis of different genre’s music videos, I explored the genre’s of:

  • Pop
  • Funk-Rock
  • Folk
  • Rock
  • Indie
  • R&B

I have learnt the different types of narratives such as…

  • illustrative – where the music video complies with the lyrics of the song,
  • amplified – when the music video links with the video slightly,
  • disjunctive – where the narrative of the music video has no link to the lyrics in the song.

This has all helped me with creating ideas for my own music video as I need to create a narrative or performance video which entices my target audience and can include some sort of cliffhanger to ensure they watch it again and again therefore advertising the song and promoting it with intertextual links which some audience members will understand, this helps them to feel more involved in the music video, this will hopefully promote my video via word of mouth promotion as they talk to their friends about it and then they will go watch it also, etc…

Preliminary Montage

Here’s the draft of a storyboard for my montage video so when shooting I knew what shots I needed and the locations, it also helped when editing as I roughly knew the order I wanted to edit my clips into.

This is my preliminary Montage task.

There are many things I liked and many things I could have improved on, such as…

  • I could have improved on getting a variety of shots such as more close ups and more long shots,
  • I didn’t get any match on actions therefore I would add them next time,
  • Next time I need to add music as my computer wasn’t co operating and wouldn’t let me upload mp3 files.

What I liked was…

  • The transitions to show a different location or a large passing of time,
  • The shots are framed well with enough lead space and rule of thirds is considered,
  • I like the chronological order so it makes sense to the audience.

Preliminary Continuity Task


My preliminary task has used the following camera techniques such as…

  • close up of the sweater in the bag and of the man unwrapping it,
  • a long shot of the woman walking down the corridor with the sweater, I also used this when the woman storms out with the jumper,
  • I mainly used medium shots of the conversations,
  • I used one two shot when the woman says ‘Present face!’ to help connect with the characters,
  • I also used over the shoulder shots of the conversation.

I used techniques such as…

  • quick cuts when editing to create a sense of urgency and frustration
  • I also used 180 degree rule to not confuse the audience and to give a sense of space.
  • match on action helped the piece to flow.

I have learnt to use the following continuity editing rules like…

  • 180 degree rule,
  • match on action
  • and shot reverse shot.

I used these rules to make sure my piece flows and runs well without unmotivated cuts.

I have learnt to use in Premiere Pro…

  • the razor blade tool, to split my clip,
  • I used the audio and video tool,
  • I also learnt how to used the Mark In (I) and Mark Out (O) tool.

I used these tools to…

  • make it easier to insert other footage and so it all flows well,
  • so I could drag either the audio or video onto the editing strip,
  • so I could cut the clip down to the footage I needed.

If I was to do this project again I would do some things differently…

  • I would make sure I have enough shots so it makes it easier when editing,
  • I would try and get more match on actions,
  • I would get more of a variety of shots, such as extreme close up, medium long shot etc…

So How Did It Go?

My magazine has helped me to develop skills in all areas, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign and many features within these applications. I have received feedback on my drafts from my teacher and my peers, on specific element of my magazine that I could change and generally how to improve my pages, in which I then uploaded another draft so I’m able to compare the pages and make judgement based on the previous pages and my new, improved pages. This has helped me to develop my editing skills a lot.

I have stuck to my main colour theme of pink, yellow and blue, as the colours suit my brand and I have ensured that my brand image is clearly displayed through my magazine, especially in my images and the mise-en-scene within the photos, this runs through all of my pages, therefore makes them go together well and the brand is clearly displayed through out my magazine. Also the journalism aspect of the magazine was challenging but once I knew how to layout my interview and after drafting the article and getting feedback I knew what I had to improve on. once I’d received all my feedback I improved my final targets to make my magazine as good as it could be for my penultimate draft.