With my digipack mock up I went around with a list of genres and adjectives and asked people which genre they think it most resembles and which adjective describes it best. The options for genre were punk, indie, alternative rock, heavy metal and pop in which most people thought that it was either punk or alternative rock both, this is helpful as it shows us that our genre is recognizable within our product but it can be mixed up with other genres that have similar aspects easily, therefore in the actual product we will have to add more conventional alternative rock themes so that it would be more clearly identifiable.
On the other hand with the adjectives we had heavy, playful, chill, edgy and grungy in which almost everybody choose grungy to describe my digipak. This is very good as a grungy feel is part of what we were going for as it is an aspect within the alternative rock genre so this the tells us that grungy themes do persists in our product and that they are easily identifiable. Therefore this tells us that in our final product the design style that we are going for is on the right track and only minor changes need to be made.
- Add more conventional alternative rock themes.
- Stick with the grungy design style.
- Improve on mise-en-scene, maybe change up the costume and add props to establish genre.
One of the new main skills that I learned was how to use photoshop in order to add effects and filters in my video, this gave me a wider and more creative range of options than I did on premiere for I was able to add multiple filters making my video have more visual appeal and meaning through the filters I decided to add. This really helped propel the representation of our narrative giving it a more edgy vibe with the use a a special black and white filter.
On Premiere Lenny had taught us how to make use of adjustment layers, these are incredibly useful for instead of adding colour correction or effects to one clip at a time we can add an adjustment layer with those aspects on the layer above the sequence we want and it would put those effects to all of them at once, this made the editing process go much faster as we were able to do colour editing to multple clips all at once.
What went well:
- The photoshop filter gave our narrative better mise-en-scene and representation of our narrative storyline.
- Adjustment layers helped for fast and more efficient editing.
- The overall colour of our video has improved and looks more fitting for our video.
Even better if:
- Made use of more effects within the adjustment layer to add more visual effects in the video.
- With the photoshop filters, tone them down a bit for in some shots visuals are obstructed by the filter.
Above are screenshots from premiere pro of my editing in my music video, here it shows the process of my editing showing the use of multiple tools and techniques in my edit. As shown in the editing window it shows four clips of which I have editing each showing I have used tools such as the snipping tool in order to have the clip go down to the length that I wanted it to and in order to sync with the audio file that is shown below the clips. in addition I have implemented visual effects on the the clips such as colour correction and transition shots making them more appealing. These tools and techniques are ones that I already knew how to use but through using them in my music video I have learnt new ways to improve on them and how I can use them to suit the alternative rock style of my music video. For example a filter put over my narrative to make make it darker and black and white gives my narrative a more depressing feel where as the fast pace editing and focus on close up gives my star the image of importance and being energetic.
What went well:
- I was able to make use of multiple tools that premiere has in order to edit my clips.
- I familiarised myself with colour effects which before I did not know much on how to use.
- I was able to edit my clips to be in sync with my audio.
Even better if:
- I made use of more effects such as transitions and colour effects making my clips look better.
- Use the layers to add more effects allowing me to use multiple clips at once, adjustment layers and filters.