In this draft we focused mainly on improving the narrative, we imported most of the narrative footage into photoshop and added a filter over it taking away the greenery and making it overall look vastly edgier, other than this only minor changes have been made such as a glitch effect added on some clips and over pace of edit improved on in our performance.
Here is feedback of Carney watching our video and giving feedback, overall it was positive enjoying the performance and the effects added on to the narrative.
- Add the glitch effect more so it makes more sense to be there and more intentional.
- Make the video go lighter to darker so when it does get darker it is easier to identify the effect and message.
- If possible change up some narrative shots to progress the narrative better, scene like the beat up scene and when pushing the bully.
- Add more close ups of the fight scene.
In our third draft we went all out with the special effects and editing, especially compared to our second draft. Here we have implemented more effects in both the performance and narrative sections helping make our edit more exciting and fast pace while also using colour filters to complement our genre making it more edgy and fit our mise-en-scene.
- We put a layer over most of our narrative portion making it primarily black and white.
- Sped up the pace of the edit by having some shots be shorter and go faster.
- Implemented the use and layers allowing us to use multiple shots at once for more visual action and appeal.
- Added and rearranged some of the shots the have more variety and action while also changing it to make more sense.
Overall I think we made great progress with our video compared to our draft 2 the use of effects and editing techniques really helped to improve the edits pace and look helping us acquire the alternative rock mise-en-scene of being edgy but also lighthearted and fun at the same time. Although the filter over our narrative does help show the meta-narrative of our video there still could be more done to it to help improve that overall section with the use of an effect to make it more comic book or cartoon like while still sending out our message of loneliness, overcoming and friendship, In addition the close-up shot of the main star is not in focus so that will need to be re-shot in order to fix that and make our performance the best we can.
- Re-shoot Matthiue’s close ups as they are blurry.
- edit some shots so that they’re edited to the beat and the performers are in frame. Some are shaky so use a warp stabilizer on them.
- Improve the narrative by either adding more shots to have more in or add special effects over it giving it an animated look.
- MAYBE change to ending to something less cartoony and as some see it cringe.
Use more performance footage to add more dynamic, have it so it becomes more fast paced and energetic. For narrative maybe mise-en-scene isn’t very good and some more close-up shots may need to be applied to help show our characters emotion, make sure that the message of the video is presented more clearly, the narrative is too simplistic so expanding the story through shots and visual metaphors may help and maybe experiment with a comic book style. Even so there shots that are good in both performance ans narrative and it is nice first draft.
- Re-shoot some shots for better quality in focus, mise-en-scene and storytelling.
- Edit the performance to be more fast paced and energetic.
- Use effects to give the video a style or theme maybe like a comic book.
- Build on the conflict between the protagonist and bully to be more dramatic.
- Expand on the narrative, possibly make it more edgy to give it more weight.
- Add more complexity with close-ups and confrontation shots.
- Edit some shots to be more in sync with the music.
Here is the second draft of our music video which now implements the narrative footage along side the performance. With this we managed to apply both sections of the music video successfully with fairly good music sync to the action and performance and narrative that makes some sense as it goes along in the music video with good quality shots that go well with each other. Although it is only a draft to see how our narrative footage works with our performance I am relatively happy with the outcome but I can clearly see the improvements that can be made in the upcoming drafts.
Targets for next draft:
- Implement more effects and editing techniques
- Try and use colour correction to make each shot look best
- Add filters to add emphasis in some scenes
- Maybe re-shoot certain shots for better results in quality and mise-en-scene.
Although my narrative shoot was cut shorter than I would have liked it to be due to time arrangements with my actors, we still managed to get all the the main shoots that we needed that were planned on our storyboard and even extra useful shots that we are able to use in our actual edit. Overall I am happy with the shoot because of the amount of shots I was able to get however I would’ve have liked to get more, specifically close ups and shots that add meaning as they would have helped propel my narrative forward. In addition some of the shots could have been better if they were shot more than once giving us more options of what we could use when editing and although I like the shots we have as they are good quality, shooting again to get certain shoots would greatly help to improve our narrative.
What went well:
- We acquired enough good quality shots that we are able to implement into our product.
- The actors performed very well giving us good performances in shots allowing us to go on to other shots without staying on one for a long time.
- Although for half of the shoot we didn’t have all the equipment we needed we were still able to get good shots that will be used in the music video.
Targets for another shoot:
- Make sure that everything is ready for the shoot so that all the equipment is ready, times actors can be there etc so we can make the most of the shoot.
- Shoot every shot more than once so if one of them may not be as good as expected there would always be a backup shot we can go to in the edit.
- Get shots from a variety of angles, when doing on shot get the same shot but in close up, mid shot, from the side etc, maximising the amount of shots we can get while also having more freedom in the edit.
Here is our risk assessment for our narrative shoot, this is to show that we have clearly assessed the possible risks that can occur or be present at the location we are filming at, on this sheet we have where we will be, who will be there and how we can control each risk that is stated making sure that the shoot is a safe as possible.
This is the production meeting agenda for our narrative shoot. Here we have disclosed the date and location of the shoot, who will be their filming or acting and what costume and props that will be used and who is responsible for bringing them. This document is useful as it is a general plan of all the key things that we need and need to know for our shoot.
This is the storyboard for our narrative shot of which it contains just above half our planned shots, there aren’t as many shots here because originally we planned on focusing more on our performance section. Here we listed each of our shots in order that we plan on having them in our narrative section, we have drawings of what we envision the shots to look like and a description under them saying what kind of shot they are such as a close up or mid shot. It would’ve been better if we planned more shots as on shoot it would make it more complicated as if we wanted to do more shots we would have to improvise. Overall the storyboard helps us be ore efficient on shot helping us make the most of our shooting time.
This is a three point structure for the narrative section of our music video, here we have descriptions of each part of the narrative beginning, middle and end each including the ideas and themes explored in each section, how the story would be progressed in that section and what will we see to show what is happening.
In the beginning we already have a disequilibrium as our character is shown to be depressed and alone or it could be implied this is the equilibrium for our character for this is everyday life for him, in the middle things worsen as others come in only to bully/attack him, this makes his mental state worsen which will be shown with camera angles and lighting, Finally in the end as it is about to reach its climax our character is “saved” by the star this helps our character which is shown by colour getting light and the camera angles calming down, throughout the whole narrative there will be mise-en-scene shots that will be visual metaphors that reflect our characters mind.