A Breath of Fresh Air with the First Prelim Continuity Task!

Hello and welcome to the start of another component of my media blog! In this post you can lay your eyes upon a preliminary task that I directed to find out how to use new camera techniques, understand continuity editing rules and get better at using Premiere Pro in preparation for the creation of our music video!

I used the 180 degree rule, as well as a tripod in the video as some camera techniques in the video.

I utilised the 180 degree rule in the video to create an imaginary axis between the two characters. The tripod was used to mount the camera which meant that I could keep the camera steady while filming at an angle in the air. I used these techniques to create a sense of being able to focus the attention on either character at a chosen point in the video without disorientating or distracting the audience. In the case of the tripod it meant that I could film at an adjustable height which in my case was to the height of the characters heads to help create the effect of the 180 degree rule.

I used shot reverse shots as well as match on action with one or two establishing shots to create continuity in the video.

Shot reverse shots play out the process of a conversation happening in a video working around the 180 degree rule to capture the reaction of each character after an emotive line was said which gives the audience to see their changing facial expression and stance, giving them a further understanding of what is happening in the shot. I used match on action to home in on parts which are not as in focus or are unable to be seen from the default shot location, so that the audience sees the end of the last shot as the next shot in another location starts. The establishing shot right at the start of the video is there to give it a setting so the audience have a better grasp of where the film is happening.

I learnt to use the mark in and mark out tools as well as the razor tool as well as the film dissolve tool in Adobe Premiere Pro.

I did this to cut up the video so that you can easily put clips from different perspectives into the main stream of film to create a larger variety of camera angles in the final video to give the audience a full understanding of what is happening in the video. The film dissolve tool creates the effect of a fade out at the very end of the video. The only reason I used a fade out at the end and didn’t use a fade in was to signify an ending, not only of the video but also the event happening in the film as the point where it started fading out is where one model puts his head in his hands after the incident.

What would I do differently?

If I was to do this project again I would do some things differently, including filming the scene in a much larger room as there are times in the video that you can see the camera juddering around which in one case was because the chair of one of the models was tucked in so far to make space for the tripod that when they got out the chair to run out the room it moved the camera.  The small room also made it hard to find a good orientation for the 180 degree rule because it was hard to fit the models at either end of the table in order to capture the door that would be used at the end of the video. Another change I would make is making sure that when I do a match on action shot the situation is set up to act the same as how the last shot ended as in my video I found it hard to find a point where the door closing was in sync with the model running past the door in the previous shot and in the outside shot.

There is also a scanned image below show-casing the annotated script of the sketch; present face acting as a shot list.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *