Above is the draft 3 of my groups music video.
In this iteration we included a lot more narrative planning for it, we took on earlier comments about how the venues change to quickly and too often so we have reduced that to give a better sense of where the performers are and to limit confusion. A more varied approach also took place so we used similar shots consecutively to give the upbeat feel of the music video whilst not making it appear as a mess.
What could have been better:
Above is draft 2 of my music video
This is our second draft for our music video, which we have incorporated the narrative shoot into.
I think that this draft went well and is quite appealing for a second draft, however, the pace in some parts of the video is quite slow and could do with a much faster pace in the editing.
What went well:
What could have gone better:
Click above to view PDF
To find my target demographic, I searched for fans of shinedown on a website called yougov. I found that the main demographic were right wing males around the age of 40. In addition to this, I also found out that the target audience enjoyed superhero movies and sitcoms, they also enjoyed listening to rock band other than shinedown such as slipknot.
Click above to view PDF
In this task I had to consider how my target audience would decode the media my group would produce which is why I needed to know what audience we are aiming for. When we create the music video and its accessories, we want it to suit who we are aiming for so that it is accepted and becomes successful and isn’t rejected.
We decided to shoot on two days for the narrative due to how long one of the sessions was going to take. This was because one of our shooting sessions involved walking to an obscure location and spending a lot of time setting up and filming there. We didn’t want all of our shots to be in the same backdrop or with the same person so we also decided to shoot somebody else in a different setting to give variation to the narrative yet have the same themes. Communication was key here so that we all had our props and equipment, in the first shoot with Ollie as the star, we relied heavily on props as it was the main focus for that session. Because we co operated well and got across any questions to each other, the first shoot went smoothly and were very happy with the outcome.
The second shot involved Lucie and was much more convenient than the first shot because it was very easy to film and we got lots of footage. Due to not being fully prepared, we hadn’t finished our story board and therefore didn’t get very effective or varied footage, this resulted in us spending more time to film. We have learn’t from this that we must be absolutely sure on what we are going to do before we are even close to filming so that we don’t waste time or the opportunity of getting needed footage.
Some targets for future shoots:
The risk assessment is an important tool which allows us to identify and eliminate most potential dangers before going out and filming. In addition to thinking of the risks, it was a site two of us had previously visited and was therefore familiar to the area. Thankfully it was a sunny day so it wasn’t very muddy and slippery.
This is our current narrative storyboard, due to the lack of detail and shots we have decided to make a new longer storyboard with a wider variety of shots. a re-shoot will be necessary due to the small storyboard failing to convey our narrative with depth or detail. The new story board will present a more intentional story and present those messages more with a more engaged attitude and quality.
This is the production meeting agenda for both shoots of the narrative section of my music video. It is important that everybody brings what they are responsible for so that we are prepared to film every shot we need otherwise we may need to reshoot which would waste time. By creating this document, it gives everyone their roles and responsibilities before we shoot so that there is time to gather required equipment.