So… How did you integrate technologies (software, hardware and online) in this project?
So… How did your production skills develop throughout this project?
So… How does your product engage with audiences and how would it be distributed as a real media text?
Reflecting on what i have achieved and produced so far, I can confidently say that I have made improvements in my overall media production skills, gaining a better idea of formatting and integration of different elements together on a page. I have also gained many transferable skills in the creation and production of this magazine, strengthening my communication, collaboration and organisation skills as I am required to direct models and arrange photoshoots. I feel that by practicing these skills have greatly developed them over the course of this project and will be able to continue using them in new tasks and environments.
To fill some space in my magazine and add more content, as well as show an understanding of my audience, I found two full-page adverts that I felt were relevant and appealing. These being an advert for the guitar and amp manufacturers Fender and Spectrum, and an advert for the Download music festival in the UK. These appeal to my audience in their relevance to the genre, as mentioned in my audience profiling, many fans of the genre will also be interested in playing their own music, therefore including an advert for a guitar would fit. The Download festival also appeals to the audience in it’s range of artists, being a large and popular festival it hosts many musicians of the genre. These are both relevant to the attitudes in the punk/alternative genre, generally being very focused on their engagement and active involvement in the music.
In response to the feedback I received, I have followed these ideas and proceeded to correct them, creating the below results of which I am generally very happy with.
From this, the only further alterations that could be made have been highlighted as the following;
- Make the album covers slightly larger
- Decrease the line spacing in the cover line captions
- Further angle the signatures on the photo
- Change the “and” in the photo caption to “&”
As well as this, it was also commented that on the contents page the colour pink seems quite dominant, however in experimenting with changing some areas I only found that this gave the page a muddy feel that I didn’t like so have decided to leave it as it is.
After reflecting on my previous work, adding more detials and refining existing material I have reached the below full second draft of my magazine including the most recent contents page.
I then sent this file to my teacher for feedback, received as below;
From this, I deducted the following main points on how to further improve my magazine;
- Make the price higher
- Change the yellow sticker on the left side to have a grainier, grungier effect
- Fix the alignment in the left column
- Change the colour of the number 10 in “Top 10 Upcoming Bands”
- Change the mission statement font
- Move the caption for the giveaway photo and further specify what it is
- Add a third sample album cover and make them slightly bigger
Double Page Spread/Article
- Seperate the standfirst from the body text
- Move the drop capital to the beginning of the body text
- Justify the both text to both sides
- Move the photo/article credit
- Include model signatures rather than a caption explaining who they are
As I continue to develop and create new pages to my magazine I continue to learn new techniques and skills in the software used, especially in InDesign as I am newer to this software.
A primary example of this would be using and editing text wraps and integrating these into my project; allowing words to automatically move and adjust themselves around images so as to not overlap and remain readable and clear. This contributes well to the genre of my magazine as it allows text to follow a more free and unconfined format, reflecting the non-conformist attitudes of the readers.
This continues to contribute to my overall skill and knowledge with this software, allowing me to create continuously better content and appeal to my audience more and more.
Having now completed my contents page with all the information I wanted to include and having refined some existing material, I can now present a second draft of my contents page alongside a peer review recording in response to this.
In completing this, I also recorded a peer conversation/discussion responding to my contents page, following set questions.
From this response, I concluded that top further impove this page I should try to:
- Change the placement of on of the captions, currently on the model’s knee
- Colour correct the extra images on the lower half of the page to better blend with the overall colour scheme
- Bring out the word “Giveaway” in the title “November Giveaway”