Teachers Screen Castify Feedback
As you can see above I have inserted my teachers screencastify of our group work. Having all of this great feedback allows for us to improve for our next draft and allow for us to create the best digipack that is genre specific
below I have bullet pointed the different areas that we need to improve on for our next draft:
- Design and Complete Spines- These should have the artists and album name and each has to face a particular direction in order to fit conventions.
- Choose to either have 2 with imagery and 2 without or only feature our artists image on the cover.
- Try some different ideas for the inside panes, including a departure board/ Other designs in order to create more variety.
- Shoot our own background for the different panes.
- Make the overlap bigger not the rear, to highlight the design feature.
In order to create our digipack we have had to do another photo shoot in order to create exactly what we wanted. We decided to use the white studio to do our shoots and overall we have all felt the shoot was very successful. Within the shoot that we have done we were able to get a range of different shots that will not only be great for the digipack but also the website. We have taken some images of ‘Merchandise’ along with head shots and mid shots. Reviewing our goals for the shoot we are confident we have got the final images, and are currently working on our drafts that are including them. Below I have inserted two images that we believe could work well as a front cover;
We have decided we like the look of this image as a one that could work really well for the front cover, we have incorporated the Mise en scene into the image using the glasses, Makeup, Jewelry and simple clothing style that is all very genre specific. all of these purposeful features allow for us to make a range of different edits.
This image also works well for a front cover for the digipak due to the fact she is directly staring into the camera and that makes the image draw the audience.
As a group we have created this stop motion based on the narrative of “injustice and equality”. This was In order to correctly understand how narrative can be used within music video’s.
Our stop motion fits the traditional linear narrative structure set out by Todorov, as the video is presented with a start (exposition), A Middle (Climax) and an Ending (Denouement).
The storyline is as follows:
The man and the small child meet each other and the child happens to drop his toy. Then the man steals the toy from the child and leaves the scene. The small child then returns to the scene with a police officer to arrest the man and take him to prison.
Our narrative also represents the conventional character types. It portrays a Heroin, the Child’s savior, after the climax. The ‘Damsel in Distress‘ is represented by the child and the antagonist is presented as the thief who steals from the child. Within this stop frame animation we have to include Binary Oppositions, a theory creates by Levi Strauss. we were given “injustice and equality” and had to show this occurring between the Lego Men.
It is important for us to consider these different sorts of narrative features when looking to create a music video narrative, as often the narrative will differ from traditional film media. Music videos are often repetitive as often the lyrics on which the narrative is based on are repeated within the song. This helps for the audience to keep a sense of place within the music video and for the narrative not to overpower the songs meaning.
When planning the narrative for our music video we have considered which features we will want to include and what narrative content relation there will be. We have chosen to portray a Amplification Narrative as this allows for us to create a narrative which incorporates the ideas within the lyrics as-well as to include other narrative scenes which we feel will help the video referent the genre of Contemporary R&B
The progression of the Digipak involves the creation of new media, whether this be imagery or graphics. For this reasons we have been planning a photo shoot, in which we wish to capture the imagery required for not only our CD cover, but also imagery that we can incorporate into our Website. We have looked carefully at what imagery is used within the R&B genre, and have created this Production Meeting Agenda, in order to make sure that we correctly represent the genre and fulfil our ideas within the shoot.
Before creating our digipak’s it was very important for us to create ideas in a wide range of different ways. In order to create an effective looking digipak we created a hand made material based college to gather a wider range of colors and design idea’s. My final college can be found above this text. I have Incorporated a range of pastel colour tones along with some pieces of nature along the way. I have incorporated nature due to liking the look of the art Nouveau movement which is based off what nature does such as not having many straight lines. I have chosen a more free flowing styled collage as it will allow for each idea to flow better along with seeing how these different materials work with one another. Although I am interested in a free flowing design I am wanting some organisation within the front cover of the Digipak.
Below I have created the first of my Digipak mood-boards. I have inserted over 20 different professional CD’s along with a range of different text’s and some different colours that I have found for inspiration for my groups own Digipak. This has helped me to be able to create a really strong and effective Digipak.
Who is your Audience?
- Who they are (demographics) – Our demographic is 15-25 years old, primarily female. People who would be considered Millennials or Generation Z
- What other media they consume and participate in – Our audience will have interests within Celebrity and Fashion Culture, and watch reality programs such as Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- What their values attitudes and beliefs (ideology / psychographics) – People with an interest towards are genre, are often relaxed but hardworking, with little to no political interests.
- How do you want the audience to engage with your star / album – It is important for our star to be ordinary for the audience, while still mataining a level of Extradrority, in order for them to be profitable. Social Media is a large part of the Genre and fans will likely also engage with the artists through a variety of social platforms.
- How will they invest time and money in your star / album – The audience will spend on endorsed products and merchandise, new album releases and concerts / shows. The audience are less likely to read or buy magazine articles, however may still watch materials such as online interviews.
- Name three similar bands / artists. Similar artists include Jorja Smith, Ella Eyre and Mabel
- What are the trends in album designs of similar stars / bands? Album covers often feature vibrant images that make use of colour, similarly pastel colours also feature on a variety of artist colours. Notably their is use of interesting Typography, allowing a variety of different moods to be translated.
- What does their website look like? The artists websites, make use of contrast, using accent colours against black and white. Soft imagery with natural tones and limited use of photo manipulation – portraying their true image to the audience
- Is your star already established or are trying to establish a new presence in the market? Our artist already has a large fan base, however there is still development for her within the genre. There isn’t a need to establish a new market presence, as the existing one can be expanded upon
- What is your star image & how are you trying to innovate / develop that image? Our star is trying to portray a real character to her audience, in contrast to many stars at the moment. Her character has allowed her to relate heavily to her demographic and rise to become a new favourite amongst many fans of R&B.
- Are you mixing up elements of different genres? Although The music fits within the R&B genre, there are definite signs of more Pop lyrics and tones within the music.
- Are you trying to re-brand your star? I feel that the current brand of the star is the one we are trying to pursue and that we are not currently trying to re-brand the star or her image.
- Are you emphasising the ordinary or extraordinary? Followings Dyer’s theory, we are emphasizing the ordianrity of her image, and this has allowed us to portray her talent as extraordinary.
Jourdan is a rising young artist who’s, inspiring lyrics and natural talent for music, has taken the R&B genre forward. Encouraging a new generation of youth within the UK to Embrace Culture and their talents to produce a history for themselves and a vision for the future of UK music.
Below I have inserted our audience profile. We have created this to enable us to create a Digipak and website that is specific to our chosen genre of Contemporary R&B aswell as being one that is going to be a profitable product. Theorists such as Hall and Blumler & Katz have helped us with their ideas so that we can create the best product possible. Additionally we have included ideas relating to our target audience, and their identity as this will allow his to better cater to them when producing this product.