In a group, we practiced lip syncing, with the performance synced to the song. We chose to use ‘Poker Face’ by Lady Gaga:
How important is the star image, when filming?
A star image is a very important aspect when filming a music video and lip syncing, as it helps the audience match the star with the mood and tone of the song. A good star image can also make the music video more fluid, helping it all come together. The star image is also important in conveying a meaningful message in the lyrics, as knowing what the star looks like can make it more understandable for the audience.
What went well?
- We managed to get the lyrics in sync with the lips
- We used a variety of backgrounds
- We used different angles, framing and distances (closeup, medium close up, long shot)
- The camera was in focus and steady
Even better if…
- We filmed the whole song in one take, from every angle and at each setting, to help it flow better and ensure that we had footage for each lyric.
- I would have also filmed in more exciting places and perhaps used different people for the lower vocals (to improve audience engagement).
We found it difficult to ensure that the lyrics and lips were synced, to begin with. However, we used our tips and tricks from our montage experiment. One really helpful tool in Premier Pro were the time markers, which helped us select individual fragments of the videos for each verse – this tool helped us save time and also made it easier to cut. I also found the layering useful to help us select which clip we wanted and the right timings for it. Next time I use Premier Pro, I will watch more tutorials so that I can figure out how to use special effects to make the video more exciting.
How will this benefit my music video?
This task will be beneficial to my music video as it has helped improve my knowledge of the software. I have also been to practice my filming and angles, as well as discover the importance of using tripod to help stabilize the shot. I now know the basics of editing, such as how to cut/trim a clip, drag a video in without audio, fade the sound and how to change the speed duration. I will now be able to improve my skills further, to hopefully make an excellent music video.