Similarities between Pan’s Labyrinth and the fantasy genre
- There are the hero and the villain. In Pan’s Labyrinth, the hero is Ofelia and the villain is Vidal
- Disobedience towards evil. People are constantly disobedient to Vidal. Like the Doctor, Mercedes and Ofelia. These characters are seen to be good
- The main character is in an ordinary world and then discovers a new realm. Ofelia starts out in this new world but then goes down the Labyrinth and discovers a new world with Fauns and fairies.
Differences between Pan Laynrinth and the fantasy genre
- The Ofelia character dies at the end. Normal fantasies never have the main character die. They can’t be defeated but in Pan’s Labyrinth, we see her die in the beginning and end of the movie.
- Not one-liner story (two plots). Pan’s Labyrinth has stories. One fantasy, which is Ofeilias, and one war which is Mercedes. In the beginning, there is a clear separation between the fantasy and war story however near the end they both interfere with each other.
- It’s not clear if the Faun is good or evil. In normal fantasies, there is a person who sends are the hero on a quest. They’re seen as good. However, throughout the movie, we are not entirely sure if we should trust the Faun considering that he is putting her in many dangerous situations.