Compare and contrast some real contents pages – what do you notice that is similar among them all? Use the real magazines in class.
- Editors hello
- Page numbers
- Hyperbole and superlatives in headlines
- Images and word clues
- Graphic illustrations and designs
- Reminder of the magazine’s name and mission statement
It will also contain some photos that relate to the listed articles / features.
Use some of the ideas in the ‘Headline Grabbers‘ post to craft some intriguing, exciting, captivating captions and cover lines.
Feedback Draft 2 Contents Page
Record on your phone, a peer giving you feedback on…have a conversation
- How does the contents page work in tandem with the front cover?
- Is the font/typeface consistent with the front cover?
- What genre of music is the contents page featuring?
- Describe the images of the stars using adjectives.
- Which cover-lines tempt the audience to read on and which ones stand out and why?
- How do the cover-lines reflect a music magazine? If they don’t, which ones need to be adapted?
- Which areas, aspects have distracting areas of integration of copy and images?
- What aspects do you consider conventional or unconventional (page numbers, inserts, captions, catchy cover lines, editors comment?
- Summarize and then act on their feedback with @ 3-5 specific targets to address.